Author Topic: VEC300 output causing motor to pulse at high speed.  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Petesscalefabshop

• Confirmed
VEC300 output causing motor to pulse at high speed.
« on: January 04, 2022, 01:19:11 PM »
I have recently purchased a VEC300 controller with a view to installing it in a Super Soco TC max as a replacement for the stock controller with the intention of fine tuning the performance to better suit my needs,I am UK based and use the bike for a short commute on fast A roads (60mph). The aim is to improve accelaration and if possible gain a little more topend, the current top speed is approx 55mph as measured via GPS ideally I would like this to be closer to 60-65mph.

I am currently using the stock bike wiring, the stock controller is as far as I can determine a rebadged GM VEC300/lingbo HC3X.

I have made some progress but now have some questions to ask.

So far I have managed to get the controller to drive the stock mid mount Vmoto/SuperSoco motor in the correct direction. The brake levers stop the motor from driving when actuated and the throttle works as I would expect to a point, with the motor offload (rear wheel off ground) the motor accelerates strongly but once the throttle is a full speed the motor speed starts to pulse.

I have not attempted to ride the bike with the VEC installed as I would like to try and smooth out the top end first.

attached are the settings I have on the VEC at the moment.

The motor specification is a bit of a guess as I can't find out who makes it yet.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this behaviour and maybe suggest a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Pete.

Be kind to dragons, for thou art crunchy when roasted and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: VEC300 output causing motor to pulse at high speed.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 09:19:37 PM »
Hi Pete andto the forum.

Why do you have the battery voltage set to 72V when the Super Soco TC Max is supposed to have a 60V45Ah battery?

If you are using the stock wiring, perhaps the throttle signal is somehow being overridden at high speed causing the motor to pulse similar to a petrol engine when its maximum rpm is being limited by the engine's ECU:-\
I'd be tempted to test it on the road and see if the pulsing still exists.

It would be nice to know if the TX Max motor has the same amount of pole pairs as the GM 5kW motor.
Are you able to read the setting of the parameters from the original controller to see how they compare?

Alan

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 08:35:02 AM »
Hi Alan, and thanks for the welcome.

The battery is 72v on the Max the website is in correct  ;)

The throttle is directly connected to the controller as far as I can tell, that said I will try the GM loom with the controller and using a throttle seperate to the bike and see if that changes anything. The stock controller doesn't show the same behaviour which is why I was wondering if it was a setting I had missed.

Unfortunately I can't read the stock ECU parameters at the moment as the GM software just gives an incorrect software error message.

This is the motor on the bike but I can't seem to find a manufacturer for it.

I have managed to get a copy of the Lingbo software so I am going to see if that will talk to the stock controller. I'll be back with the results  :D

Pete.

Be kind to dragons, for thou art crunchy when roasted and taste good with ketchup.

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 01:51:17 PM »
I managed to get a bit of time with the bike today and have made some progress.

It appears that the stock controller is running the lingbo software, as I am able to read and write parameters to the controller. ;D

The lingbo software appears to allow adjustment of more parameters than the GM software. The GM comms cable works fine with the Lingbo software.

So now I need to work out what parameters I need to adjust to achieve the results I am after.

I shall be back when I have further information.