Author Topic: Quick Direction Change with 3kW BLDC With Kelly Controller (KLS-6018S)  (Read 2742 times)

Offline 071111108100101110

• Confirmed
Hi,
I am using the 3kW BLDC Motor. I was using the Golden VEC-200 Motor Controller, but it seems that motor controller is incapable of changing the direction of the wheels quickly.

Therefore, I got the Kelly KLS-6018S, which has settings for fast direction change (applying torque in the opposite direction of the wheels) and a "joystick" mode which sets forward input voltage to 2.6V-5V and backward to 0V-2.4V for seamless transition between the two. Perfect, right? Well, I can't get this to work.

Most of the other settings in the Kelly Software work (for example, neutral braking to electrically brake when there is no input works). But, the change direction setting does not seem to work. I have been in contact with Fany at Kelly Controls, and they have given me plenty of settings to try, with no luck. Fany contacted one of their Engineers who confirmed those settings should work. So, I am at a loss.

Has anyone gotten this kind of setting to work with the 3kW motor? What about with a Kelly Controller? The way I see it, there are three likely reasons why this may not be working for me:
1) My configuration settings on the KLS-6018S are wrong.
2) My inputs to the KLS-6018S are wrong.
3) Something is not working in the motor, or between the controller and the motor.

I'd like to figure out what is wrong, so if you have any info about the three possibilities above or fast direction changing please let me know.
Thanks,
Michael

Offline 071111108100101110

• Confirmed
Re: Quick Direction Change with 3kW BLDC With Kelly Controller (KLS-6018S)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 09:32:07 PM »
For anyone reading this that may be trying to use this motor for a robotic application: Instant torque in the direction opposite the wheels is not possible with the Golden Motor controller (tested, confirmed with support) nor is it possible with any Kelly Controllers (tested, confirmed with Fany at Kelly). So you'll need a different motor controller. When I get this to work I will update with the one I use, but avoid the ones listed above. Or try at your own risk.