Author Topic: Disabling Regenerative Braking  (Read 1571 times)

Offline VRk24

• Confirmed
Disabling Regenerative Braking
« on: November 23, 2021, 06:14:17 AM »
Hi,
I have purchased a HPC controller (HPC96V400) for testing with 10kW BLDC motor. But for testing I am not using battery, instead AC-to-DC supply. While I provide GND to BRAKE pin, I can see voltage on supply going higher, indicating Regenerative braking is in effect and providing voltage to the supply from the motor. How can I switch off this feature till testing is over? I am using the software HPCMIS_WIN.exe by reading MISVC Software User Guide.
Thank you.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Disabling Regenerative Braking
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 07:39:27 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

I presume there is no obvious setting that will allow the regenerative braking to be disabled, in which case the obvious solution would be to simply disconnect the brake switch wires so that regen will not be activated.

Alan

Offline VRk24

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 06:03:40 AM »
Thanks Alan. :D
I am using MISVC Software (HPCMIS_WIN.exe) to configure the setting. Under "Battery" Tab, there is an option "Voltage of feedback(V)". The guide says that this option is for "Setting of energy feedback voltage(brake voltage), set it according
to battery charging voltage.
". So what if this value is made to zero? Will it cause any issues/damages or stop regenerative braking?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 10:06:40 AM »
Setting the value to zero (assuming it will accept a value of 0) should not cause any problems, but if it simply shunts the excess voltage/current to ground it would not prevent the electromagnetic dynamic braking effect and the motor would still stop quickly when the brake switch was activated.

Placing a heavy duty diode into the power supply output would prevent higher voltage returning to the power supply but it may allow the voltage in the controller to rise too high.  :-\

Alan