Author Topic: Magic controller - throttle as power instead of speed?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Chnapo

• Confirmed
Magic controller - throttle as power instead of speed?
« on: October 27, 2021, 11:06:37 AM »
Hello, I am a new owner of Golden 250W motor and 50A Magic controller, bought in Czech Republic. In short - how do I make the controller to accept throttle signal as power instead of speed?

Long - My bike has 20" wheels, using a motor which is meant for 26-28" wheels and using it on front wheel means that I am getting wheelspin whenever I try to move from 0 km/h. Because if I use 50% throttle, instead of giving me 50% power, it accelerates full power to 50% speed. I would like to control my power, not the speed or engine RPM. Is it possible to change that via USB interface?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic controller - throttle as power instead of speed?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 04:57:47 PM »
Hi Chnapo andto the forum.

Unfortunately, the Magic Controller's throttle mode cannot be changed from "Speed" control to "Torque" control, but you can reduce the Acceleration setting so that the power delivery is more gentle and progressive.

Try setting it to 50% instead of 100% and see how much difference it makes. You can then reduce it further if the power still starts too abruptly, or increase it slightly if the motor takes too long to respond.

Alan

Offline Chnapo

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 07:55:15 AM »
Thanks for your answer, I will try. I forgot to mention that I would also like to raise my top speed (which is now due to my small wheel about 20 km/h - I would like to raise it to 25 km/h). When the motor reaches certain RPM, it is not even trying to accelerate. It has PLENTY of power at 14-16 kph range and at 20-21 kph, it doesn´t even try to accelerate, like it has reached the maximum speed set in the controller and that´s it.
About the acceleration setup, will it affect my top speed or hill climbing capability in any negative way?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »
The maximum rotational speed is usually set to 360 rpm by default, but in reality, the maximum rpm will governed by the battery voltage.
Therefore you would need a 48V battery to achieve 360 rpm (34.5km/h with a 20" wheel).
With a 36V or 24V battery your maximum speed with a 20" wheel would probably be ~26km/h or ~18km/h respectively.

The Acceleration setting should not affect your actual top speed at full throttle, but it will affect the time it takes for the motor to get to top speed after full throttle has been applied. ;)

Alan