Author Topic: change between hyperbola and linear does not work, vec200  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Vivanco98

• Confirmed
change between hyperbola and linear does not work, vec200
« on: October 28, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »
Hi,

i use the VEC200 and HPM3000 for my electric cart.
Here is the problem:

I build a throttle-potentiometer with some resistors, the voltage range is between 1 and 3,8volts (measured). So at 2,2 volts the motor does not rotate. Above and below 2.2volts the motor rotates (direction change). So this is the typical hyperbola setting.

So I wanted to see, if I can fix the problem through changing "throttle mode selection" setting from hyperbola to linear and also the "Speed throttle type" setting to Potentiometer. Unfortunally it does not work. I tried difference settings and values in the throttle setting area.  So if I use the programming tool CH340 and connect it with my Surface Pro 7 and Windows 10, the device manager recognizes the tool as "CH340". The driver is installed. When I use the software I can connect to the VEC200 and upload and download the settings from the controller. The pop up messages after pressing "download" or "upload" are always succesfull.

But, however, the throttle type does not change the typical hyperbola behavior. After changing the setting to linear, it is modified and the setting remains. But the problem is still the same.

I think there is a problem between the communication from controller to pc. Maybe Windows 10 is making problems?

I used two same software versions, but at the one you can find in "throttle mode selection" 0:soft start and 1:linear, at the other 0:hypebola 0:linear.

Maybe someone can help me, to change the throttle mode to linear.

Best regards
vivanco98

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: change between hyperbola and linear does not work, vec200
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 12:16:18 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

Try downloading the latest version or the PI-800 programming software from the GM Website and see if it makes any difference.

Try setting the Throttle Mode selection to 1:Linear and the Speed throttle type to 0:Hall effect throttle and then click the Download icon to save the changed settings to the controller.
The Hall effect throttle setting should still work fine with a resistive throttle, which also produces a variable voltage signal output.

Here is a list of the PI-800 program icons and their functions to avoid any confusion:

Check if the settings have been successfully saved by clicking the Upload or Connect icon and making sure the settings are still as they were when last saved.  ;)

Cycle the battery power Off and On again to reset the controller and hopefully your throttle will be working just like you wanted it to.

Alan

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 01:34:39 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Vivanco98

• Confirmed
Re: change between hyperbola and linear does not work, vec200
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 11:00:01 AM »
Thanks alot Alan!
Problem solved.

Another question. Is it possible to change the direction from forward to reverse through this:

normal is U/V/W = Yellow/Green/Blue with no hall sensor swapping,
reverse is U/V/W = Yellow/Blue/Green and swap Yellow and Green hall sensor wires

or is it possible through changing "Motor parameters" in the software?

Thanks!
vivanco98

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Changing the motor's default direction of rotation
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 11:38:00 AM »

To reverse the motor's default direction of rotation from the standard wiring, the Blue and Yellow Phase wires must be swapped over on the controller terminals, and the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires must be swapped.

I recommend swapping the the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires on the controller side of the Hall sensor connector if possible, so that you can swap the motor or controller (using the same wiring harness) at a later date without having to worry about changing the hall sensor wires again.  ;)

If you can easily release the pins from the controller's Hall sensor connector housing, just swap the pins and wires over, otherwise you may have to cut, transpose and solder the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires on the controller side of the Hall sensor connector.

As far as I'm aware, there is no easy way to change the default direction of rotation using the PI-800 Programming software, and if it is permanently switched using the reverse function, the EBS (regenerative braking) and cruise control will no longer work.

Alan