Author Topic: Rear Wheel Kit Anyone?  (Read 15258 times)

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
Rear Wheel Kit Anyone?
« on: September 11, 2007, 02:09:08 AM »
If you can't think of any good reason to get a rear wheel kit instead of the front, this ought help! You can even make your own!

An added bonus is that you can mount a slew of batteries on the bottom of the cart.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 02:14:26 AM by Dave »

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Rear Wheel Kit Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 02:34:28 AM »
Off roading at your own peril. Front shocks for butt comfort, now what to do about the handle bar grips.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 03:33:59 AM »
Humm that cart bike sure look familair. It looks like the one that the street vendors pedal around certain part of a neighboring town.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 04:24:18 AM »
If you can't think of any good reason to get a rear wheel kit instead of the front, this ought help! You can even make your own!

An added bonus is that you can mount a slew of batteries on the bottom of the cart.

Here is another one like this I saw about six weeks ago where the guy cut the bottom off and mounted regular front wheels with the forks on the sides of the basket which made it impossible to steer over 5 miles per hour. The rest of it was done pretty much the same.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 04:27:58 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 05:22:51 AM »
In the Fresno area they are called street vendors when pushing shopping carts? LOL

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 05:26:01 AM »
 I would not try to "appropiate" a shopping cart from your local grocery chain store. This might get you up to a year in Mr. Sherrifs county INN(aka jail) and have to make restitution for the shopping cart!!!  :o :o ;D

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 05:35:44 AM »
I have heard somewhere, not in the county lock up, that shopping carts cost around $400. Much cheaper to buy a rack for my batteries. I am not into the "little wheel" thing either, I prefer neumatic all terrain.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 05:51:47 AM »
  I'm with you Dalecv, For that price you could buy 2 racks from Lane at CETMA and have change leftover for better batteries.  :D
   Check out this handy cart. http://www.bikeengines.com/willietest.htm

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 05:57:52 AM by mustangman »

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 01:47:33 PM »
Here is another one like this I saw about six weeks ago where the guy cut the bottom off and mounted regular front wheels with the forks on the sides of the basket which made it impossible to steer over 5 miles per hour. The rest of it was done pretty much the same.

Then there is Henry Workcycles. Those crazy Dutchmen have a way with their bicycle-based contraptions. My favorite is the classic bakfeits, like this one, which can haul up to 300kg! Good thing there are no hills in the Netherlands; it'd never fly around here.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 02:36:56 PM by Dave »

Offline erdurbin

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • not so Common sense
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 02:47:06 PM »
Looks like it could double as a john boat

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 11:38:16 PM »
You mean like the Auto Canoe?

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 11:41:34 PM »
  I liked all those ideas, but currently, there are only a few bikes that can handle the distance of 135 mm to 160mm required to install a rear wheel hub motor without any modification to the frame or wheel. The all in one rear wheel concept is really apealing, but I guess we have to wait for the right frame.  :(

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 12:07:03 AM »
Rear wheel kits were designed for a standard 160mm Tandem frame in case the wife started... err... uh... commenting on all the work you were making her do.  ;D

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 04:20:48 AM »
Ooo, sorry about that. My wife bought a Nishiki hard tail mtn, bike rode it twice and has never rode it again in the last 4 years. she claims "I don't have the time" the reality is she is not into cycling any more. (cars are faster) A tandem bike would also be an unwise investment.  ;D

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 04:57:32 AM »
Steve Fossett wanted to go faster and look where it got him... that is, if you knew where to look...