Author Topic: Front Rack for bicycles  (Read 15861 times)

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Front Rack for bicycles
« on: August 22, 2007, 12:52:47 AM »
 I found a gentleman in Eugene, Oregon http://www.cetmaracks.com/index.html who makes front racks for bicycles. They were orginally designed for messagers and they are strong enough to hold over 100 pounds,(He claims they play bicycle polo with the the mallet man riding on the front rack)  This rack might be what some of you might want to look into versus the traditional rear rack.  8)

dray

Re: Front Rack for bicycles
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 04:00:08 AM »
The bottom kicker brackets are the same as the ones on the large $20 front beach cruiser baskets.

Thats where the weight goes. Save a few dollars and buy a heavy duty front basket

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 06:49:17 AM »
I live in Eugene and so far I haven't seen any of these big racks on delivery bikes around town. The Pedalers Express riders are fairly common to see here.

The interesting part is the contact phone number is not a Eugene 541 area code but a 415 San Francisco area code.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 07:05:17 AM »
   He used to live in San Francisco but moved to Oregon. He may forgot to update his phone number however he does respond to email.
 His current address is:
CETMAracks
2670 Monroe Street
Eugene, OR 97405
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:47:40 AM by mustangman »

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 07:13:02 AM »
Good move, as Mark Twain wrote, the coldest winter he lived through was the summer he spent in San Francisco.

You may be able to carry a lot of weight on the front wheel but just try to use the kick stand. The polo player falls off everytime.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 07:57:18 AM »
 Very few San Francisco residents have air conditioning and the favorite car is a convertable. Anyway, according to lane, the rack is made from chrome moly steel. The posts that connect to fork are made from the same material, not cheap stamped sheet metal like a $20 "heavy duty" basket.  8)

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
Good for Polo maybe but a front rack in traffic or if a dog or child jumps out in front, can be deadly. How about a removable (for riding on the bus) center triangle rack?

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:07:09 AM »
  Drop Lane an email, he is open to ideas. :D

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:13:20 AM »
Here is the front rack design I like best...

...from weiser on wide tire topic
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:23:54 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline Lane

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 01:23:07 PM »
My name is Lane and I make these CETMAracks you've been writing about.  I don't normally interrupt forums like this when I'm being mentioned, but I must clear up a few things.

1.  I never claimed that "they play bicycle polo with the the mallet man riding on the front rack".  Someone else wrote this.  You should be able to discern this since the quote clearly appears in quotation marks and is found on the "Testimonials" page of my site. 

2.  ..."according to Lane,...The posts that connect to fork are made from the same material, not cheap stamped sheet metal like a $20 "heavy duty" basket." 

Where on Earth did you get this information?

3.  "I live in Eugene and so far I haven't seen any of these big racks on delivery bikes around town.  The Pedalers Express riders are fairly common to see here."

Pedalers Express?...I'm the manager, for Pete's sake.  Give the "Blog" page a looksie. 

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 05:31:41 PM »
    Here is rhe "polo" qute From the testamonials page on CETMA site:
"8-Rail baby! This puppy has carried the following for me: 3 18 packs of Pabst; countless
bike messengers (one at a time of course); Bike Polo assistant (he was in charge of the mallet);
4 bags of groceries; My completely full messenger bag; My hopes and dreams;
My feet (when I'm coasting downhill)! Nice work Lane! Everyone should have a bike with a CETMA on it!!"

-Case

The gentleman making the claim indeed was "Case" a person who purchased a rack, not Lane, the owner of the company.

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 11:00:36 PM »
Hey, I stopped by to talk but you were out "riding" The person I spoke with said the racks would be showing up soon for retail sales. Where is the Blog page you mentioned, I couldn't find it on catoregon web site?

Hopefully my mentioning that, I see the Pedalers Express bikes around town but not any of the racks wasn't taken as a put down to you or your products. Sorry if it came across differently.

Offline Lane

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 01:36:42 AM »
Hey, great!  I would have liked to talk to you!

The Blog page I'm talking about is on my CETMAracks website, NOT the CAT website.  I have nothing to do with the CAT site, and frankly know very little about it.

I don't work for CAT, I work for Pedalers Express, their courier company.  It's confusing, I know.

As far as the comment goes, no I was not at all offended or anything!  If the owner wanted to put my racks on his Pedalers Express bikes, that would be fine with me!  In the meantime, our two operations are very separate.  I've been making my racks for years in San Francisco, and only recently moved to Eugene, where I got a job at Pedalers Express.

Ah...there!

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 02:04:39 AM »
Sound good, I will stop by next week and we can talk electric bike stuff, maybe racks too.

Offline Lane

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 04:14:22 AM »
But I'm not interested in electric bikes.  I'm interested in human-powered bikes!