Author Topic: Will this work with my cruiser (i'm new)  (Read 7466 times)

Offline stephanie

Will this work with my cruiser (i'm new)
« on: August 20, 2007, 08:51:03 PM »
hi, i'm completely new to all of this but I really want one because my parents say I need to start riding my bike to school and i'm not about to come all sweaty everyday....not the point, I have a 7 speed cruiser giant bike and I feel like these wheels kinda through off the whole bike, but like if I buy it, couldn't I just replace the tire it came with, with the tire that came with my bike. *they are 26" but chunky cruiser bikes.

Also, i've noticed that theres alot of shipping talk the whole usa thing, which I don't get but on the website it says it's 5-10 business days is that wrong. Also that whole "amped" vs " golden motor" is there a difference can someone explain that to me please.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Will this work with my cruiser (i'm new)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 10:24:27 PM »
   Hello Stephanie, welcome to the forum. The crusier would be a great canidate for a front wheel conversion.(as long as the front fork is made from steel, check it with a magnet, if it sticks it is a steel fork) As far a Distributor to buy from, you have some options: 1. The golden website, 2. (Dray) Danny @ ampedbikes.com 3. (myelectricbike)Patrick at ebike@verizon.net.  It all depends were you are located and who you fell comfortable dealing with. (ampedbike is located in LA California and  Ebike is in FL?) May I ask you if you are a college student? This kit takes a little fitting so be prepared to do a little work like filing, running and securing the wires, mounting a rear rack, attaching the controller, wiring the batteries etc...  :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 10:36:27 PM by mustangman »

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:35:25 PM »
sales@goldenmotor.com is the official source for buying from the manufacturer.  Purchases through sales@goldenmotor.com are at the stated price on the DIY e-bike kit page from their website.  They have a distributor in northern California, who receives the kits in bulk and he forwards them on to buyers.  They are supposed to be QC'd at the factory, but users have gotten kits in various states of damage after shipping...something I think goldenmotor intends to remedy soon.  If user testimony from the boards is any evidence, goldenmotor has been plagued by slow response times, occasionally not responding at all to e-mail inquiries, but generally responding to paypal payments.  I have not yet heard of a user who paid via the web site and failed to receive a kit, however shipping times can vary greatly.  Shipping times vary based on whether there is current inventory in the US, or if they have to wait for the next container shipment to arrive.

ebike@verizon.net is another avenue for buying a motor kit.  'Myelectricbike' (the user behind the e-mail address) buys kits in bulk and tests them prior to sending them on to users.  To the best of my understanding, he is selling the kit at the website list price with the same set of accessories as listed on the web site.  myelectricbike will let you know promptly if he is out of stock.

www.ampedbikes.com is run by user 'dray' on these boards.  He buys kits from goldenmotor in bulk, provides some additional QC, adds a few additional accessories beyond those listed on the goldenmotor site (battery bag, bike rack, etc.) and sends them on to folks who buy through his site with a mark-up for his troubles.  Prices and additional accessories are listed on his website.  I'm pretty sure he currently has stock on hand ready to ship.

-Mike

[edit... noticed my ' ' markings for usernames was inconsistent)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 11:55:05 PM by OneEye »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:42:39 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for starting off with welcomes and the detailed low down I wish I had had when I first started looking for an ebike.

And greetings Stephanie. One thing we lack on the board and most likely need is the gender with a rep for having their brains actually in control of the muscles that work the mouth, or in this case the fingers.  ;D

As for sales, if you live in the US it will most likely be faster (especially in prep for school) to place an order through sales@goldenmotor.com or through the Golden Motor web site.

In the alternative you can send an email with the information below to me at ebike@verizon.net to receive a reply email with the total cost of the kit including shipping and payment options.

1.) I consent to be bound by the terms of the following Liability Agreement.

2.) My contact phone number is:_________________________

3.) Go to FedEx Address Checker and enter your shipping address. Then copy and paste the results below this line in the email.

And again, welcome to the forum. Even if you do not purchase a kit... we are in definite need of a feminine voice around here.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 11:50:43 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline stephanie

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:00:38 AM »
Thank you!

Um no i'm not a college student i'm in highschool. Well I live in L.A but I don't wanna pay extra so I think if I was gonna buy I would get my bike from Patrick. Um I kinda noticed no answered if I can change the tire I have now with the tire it comes with. *sorry I didn't make that clear......i don't re-read my work.

lol are you says this forum is pretty much guys....... 

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:21:27 AM »
Thank you!

Um no i'm not a college student i'm in highschool. Well I live in L.A but I don't wanna pay extra so I think if I was gonna buy I would get my bike from Patrick. Um I kinda noticed no answered if I can change the tire I have now with the tire it comes with. *sorry I didn't make that clear......i don't re-read my work.

lol are you says this forum is pretty much guys....... 

The wheel has a standard 26" mountain bike type rim, and if your cruiser also has 26" wheels your tire should fit just fine.

And welcome to the forum. The Golden Motor experience is kind of a work in progress; you don't get a lot of information about the kits handed to you so you've got to do some digging and ask questions when things aren't clear. Some users on the forum (who shall remain unnamed) are good at handing out snarky comments, but you can find some good help here. Best bet is to avoid flame wars by ignoring the snarky comments & just wait for serious comments. It's a user forum; we're all in this together.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 01:53:10 AM »
Actually Stephanie, since you live in LA you, you might be able to talk Dray into a discount, especially if you can pick the kit up and avoid the cost altogether of shipping. Even though the kits I sell are a bit less than Dray or Golden I only have 2- 20" kits in stock and have no idea when my 26" kits will arrive. Unfortunately, my relationship with the West Coast warehouse in Oakland has been terminated so until I have another option shipping would cost too much. Besides, even if it were not for the extra cost you would have to pay right now for shipping direct from the factory, the time factor might not put you on an ebike before the start of school. I'm happy to place an order but I'm just afraid the you might not be served as well. Thank you for your voice of support anyway and let me know if there is any other way I can help.

By the way Dave, its not a "user" forum, but an owner's forum. There is a difference and also a reason for it being the way it is.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:27:01 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 02:30:44 AM »
    Stephanie, (Dray) Danny of ampedbikes.com  is located in Santa Ana, CA. He has kits available that also come with the rack, battery bag and bungee tiedown. Call Him and you could pick up the kit in Santa Ana and avoid the shipping cost (He is charging $39.95 for shipping). Again welcome and if you have any problems with the kit, you know where to get help.  :) :D