Author Topic: warranty  (Read 9128 times)

Offline sock2828

warranty
« on: August 18, 2007, 12:16:43 AM »
just wanted to know how long the warranty lasts

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: warranty
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 05:03:56 AM »
You'll have to ask sales@goldenmotor.com. Please post the response here.

Offline iron_monkey

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 07:26:10 AM »
Due to the shipping costs I highly doubt they will offer to replace your motor. Frankly when buying cheap directly from the factory you have to accept there is no warranty and they will probably simply ignore you if you arent in China. You will need to be prepared to do fixing yourself.

edit: Im also wondering why Americans need to buy from the factory(presuming you are). There are reasonably priced electric wheels, motors, and kits in the US/Canada; its not worth the risk.

Its only in other countries like Australia where they are incredibly marked up that it may be worth the risk.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:40:34 AM by iron_monkey »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 08:34:50 AM »
Many Americans like to tinker but would rather not spend a fortune to have a hobby, so they look for local sales and visit scrap yards and shop eBay. Its not too different that in the UK or in Australia. Golden fits this scenario very well.

Offline sock2828

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:20:58 AM »
theres nothing rong with it it just dosent have enough hill climbing power for my situation

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 05:51:38 AM »
 How steep is the hill?

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 08:55:14 AM »
A warranty generally doesn't cover "fit for purpose", merely "performs as intended".  Too bad the motor isn't working out for your locale. 

The mid-drive motor kit dray pointed out in the "Should Goden Make a Golden Olympian Hub Motor" thread might be a good option for hilly areas.  The ability to change gears can give you the power you need for the hills & the speed you need for the flats.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 07:08:05 PM by OneEye »

Offline Towi

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 09:17:07 AM »
Warranty is certainly a critical point for ordering directly from factory. If you want to pay cheap, I think you have to accept : no risk, no fun  ;D
Thinking to be able to defend warranty rights in that condition may be useless.

But I saw on a forum in France, that a guy having a problem with the golden motor, was proposed to send the motor back on cost of golden. At the moment I don't know if he was refund. But the last news was, that golden found a broken hall sensor.

So there seems to be a good will for after sales service.

-Thomas

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 09:30:43 AM »
In Philip's defense, if you explain the problem and ask for a replacement then he will in all probability come through. Make demands, get angry, spew insults and accusations and... hey, he is in China which is a long way a away. If you want an iron clad warranty then make it a prerequisite of purchase and get it written in triplicate and blood.  ;D

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 05:44:04 PM »
    I would rather have the warranty with a provision of binding arbitration with a bond posted. That way I am guaranteed if I prevail with my case, I will get my money back. That's my version of an  iron clad warranty. :D

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 06:06:53 PM »
Unfortunately the cost of such warranties are prohibitive except for airplanes, boats and rocket ships. :(
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 06:21:13 PM by myelectricbike »