Author Topic: Should Golden Make a Golden Olypian hub motor  (Read 20409 times)

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Should Golden Make a Golden Olypian hub motor
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 06:09:23 AM »
That kit would have worked perfectly with my recumbent Bike E. The Bike E uses a 3 speed rear hub instead of a front derailer so it wouldn't loose any gear capacity. I looked at the Eco Speed kit ( http://www.ecospeed.net/index.html ) which is a mid drive system but the price was way too high, $1500. I like the way this kit uses a torington bearing on the crank arm for the no pedaling while under electric power.

I too was thinking of mid drive designs until I found out how easy it was to use a hub drive kit.

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 06:24:14 AM »
So that is how you get more power out of a Harley, put pedals on it.

You don't see too many seats like that every day. It looks painful, do you ride it like that?

dray

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 06:27:31 AM »
heh that ones not mine, I don't have any pics on hand so I just grabbed one off of the internet..

But yeah those seats are super comfy.. Anyone thats been around for 30+ years had to have had one at one time or another.. I did a 72 mile ride with a friend the other weekend.

used about 1/4 of a gallon of gas, motor is $100 80cc ebay kit 37 mph max all out lol.

Oh yeah and really quiet. I was thinking of getting the regenerative controller and putting a hub kit on one!
hehe true hybrid
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:38:56 AM by dray »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 08:45:28 AM by myelectricbike »

dray

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 06:04:23 PM »
Thats them.. I bought the forst one off of ebay for $80 then $120 shiping lol.

Then I looked on Craiglist and found a local guy and got 2 kits for $240

they say 80cc but I think they are actually around 60cc but still pulls me around all weekend for $1 in gas.

Weekends are for my gas bike.
Weekdays are for my electrics!

Someday they may come together like a reese's!
someone got their electric in my gas!
Someone got their gas in my electric!

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 07:53:30 PM »
So put one of your hub kits on the front wheel with a regen controller and you could get the electric out of the gas.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 09:11:57 PM »
Crossed my mind as well... Only problem is that the hub motor can generate far more voltage and current than the controller can handle so that all of the sudden it freewheels if you back off of the throttle too fast or too much. You probably could not go slow enough on gas to keep the controller from shutting down unless you rigged the electric throttle somehow.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 09:14:18 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline iron_monkey

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 01:27:22 AM »
These kits I found on ebay are expensive but I'll bet on a straight away you could hit 45 mph and you could climb any hill just change gears.

Its not stealth like the hub motors, its most likely a little noisy, but with the ability to change your gears I think it may be more efficient. I would probably mount the motor in a more conspicuous place and add a jackshaft, raise the voltage etc.

Except that the gearing is all wrong in these kits(edit: except the most expensive 48v 1kw kit due to the smaller motor sprocket and two piece crank). These motors output at 1500-3000rpm, there is simply not enough gearing in the bicycle drivetrain for that rpm. They would be extremely inefficient compared to a hub motor.

Those motors have to be geared to output 200-400rpm before reaching the bicycle drivetrain. That would be a winner.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:36:28 AM by iron_monkey »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 02:37:45 AM »
 I appreciate all the discussion about the motor types, howeverI am interested in one thing: If golden motor builds a "golden olympian" hub motor(simular to a crystalmight 5303 series motor but even better) would you buy it??

Offline iron_monkey

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 02:58:44 AM »
I appreciate all the discussion about the motor types, howeverI am interested in one thing: If golden motor builds a "golden olympian" hub motor(simular to a crystalmight 5303 series motor but even better) would you buy it??

No, I wouldnt, unless battery prices/technology improves. If maximum speed is of concern one should obviously get a combustion engine. With current battery technology/prices theres little incentive(imo) for a high performance electric motor when there are combustion engines.

In fact Im only looking at electric motors because combustion engines are glaringly illegal where I live (250/500w electric motors are still technically illegal here but nobody is going to notice/care).

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:16:40 AM by iron_monkey »

dray

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 04:00:37 AM »
I don't think I would want to sacrifice hill climbing power for an extra 10 mph..

29a

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 10:55:26 AM »
I would buy one as long as its quieter than the clite (which can be heard 3 blocks away) lighter would be nice as well, super efficency is not that important with a motor this size as you would have to go with lithium for the ness Amps + for off road (dirt trail)hill climbing.
Here in Canada I would be the exception as clite can't even sell their 5 series here, because of the heavy weight,loud noise and ness 48V min 35A min to operate the 5 series and its over legal on road wattage here.

In the states in peak summer sales season clite allways sells out of 5 series so I think the market is deffinately there, especially if its a cheaper priced product.

good luck

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 03:44:23 PM »
Not really interested.  As iron_monkey mentioned, the battery tech is at least 5 years shy of providing what is needed.  I'm living in a pancake flat part of central California, so there is probably no more than 10' of terrain change over my 7 mile ride in to work.  I'm fortunate not to need the power for hills.  That is where the battery juice goes really fast, and the difference in power levels is most noticeable.

-Mike
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:51:10 PM by OneEye »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 02:50:30 AM »
   I also live in a flat area of California, however, I have a need for speed !! 30 MPH to be exact(California"s Max Speed for Electric Bikes) If there was a Golden product that went that fast,(maybe a little faster) I would buy it!! :D