Author Topic: Fortune Smiled Tonight  (Read 9186 times)

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
Fortune Smiled Tonight
« on: August 17, 2007, 03:31:48 AM »
So, yesterday my 13 year old tells me his bike has a flat. I'm out of 700c tubes, so tonight I stop by the bike shop whilst out doing errands. A while back I had asked the owner -- a good friend of mine -- about electric bikes, so he knew of my interest in them. Later he emailed me that there might be a couple of Giant LaFree's coming in on trade. Well, he got them in this week, and they were not quite in sellable shape. He decided that it would be more work to get them running than he could sell them for, so he was going to dump them. Or, I could just have them!

They're both 2003 LaFree Sport women's frames (one silver & one burgundy), and appear to have spent more time in the garage than on the road. One of them has a motor/gear case problem (I think), and the other I think just needs a battery. I'll have to do some more testing to see exactly what's up with them, but I'm thinking that I can get one of them working with parts from the other. If not, I can at least learn something from them and glean some parts from them. Very sturdy machines.

The spare frame may make a good start for a dedicated hub-motor electric bike. I'm not at all thrilled with the geared motor arrangement on the LaFree, but can live with it if I can get one operable. The frame is all aluminum (or is it aluminium?), as is the front fork, so some work or a replacement fork will be required to get a hub motor on it. But the battery space behind the seat is the perfect spot for that.

I'll post some photos when I get a chance to snap a few.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Fortune Smiled Tonight
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 03:45:40 AM »
 Measure the rear drop out, if it is 160mm, you could use a rear hub motor instead of the usual front motor.  :) ;D

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 04:19:24 AM »
15" wheels? Where ya gona git somthin like That?  ::)

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 04:30:24 AM »
   The wheels and tires are "26 x 1.75” skin wall, special formulation for electric bikes" not 15 inch wheels!!(look at the web description) :)

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 04:36:53 AM »
Wow! I plugged the batteries into the chargers three hours ago, and on a whim popped one into the silver bike before heading to bed, and it worked great! That was the first time riding an ebike, and I've got to say it was a blast. Good thing it was dark or my neighbors would've thought I'd gone over the deep end what with the big smile on my face! (then again, some neighbors think I've already gone over, but that's another story.)

The LaFree's controller only engages the motor while the pedals are moving. You don't need to be working hard at it; just a token moving of the pedals is all that's needed. The LaFree also has the motor/gearbox integrated with the crank, so the gearing on the freewheel works with the motor. Gear down going uphill for more torque; gear up on the flats for speed. There's no speedo on it (yet) so I have no idea how fast I was going, but I'd guess it was close to 20mph. I know I'd have to be working a bit to go that fast without a motor.

I've heard many on this forum mention how quiet the Golden Motors are (Silence is Golden, and Goldens are Silent), so that is something I look forward to. The LaFree is a bit noisy. Not 2-cycle-type noisy, but there is more than a hum there. The motor has brushes, so that makes a bit of noise, plus I would imagine the gearbox makes some of its own noise. The motor's shaft runs in line with the wheels, so there must be some sort of bevel gear in there to reorient the motor's rotation.

Very, very pleased that one of them works without much effort on my part. And at the price I paid for them (nada), I go to bed a happy guy.  :)

I'll pull the wheel off tomorrow & measure the rear dropouts, but since it's got a standard 7-speed drivetrain, I'd guess it's a standard 130-135mm spacing. And with an aluminum frame, coldsetting is out.

And yes, the wheels are 26" diameter. Where'd you get the 15"?

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 04:58:30 AM »
Click on the link you provided above and then look at the second entry from the top in the table to the right of "Size". It says 15"

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 05:10:22 AM »
Click on the link you provided above and then look at the second entry from the top in the table to the right of "Size". It says 15"

Probably the frame size; measuring from crank center to the top of the seatpost. The men's frame is an 18", and that looks to be right in comparison to the women's frame.

And check out the funky seat & seat post. The post hits the seat at the front rather than the middle so that the seat tube can be further forward to make room for the battery pack. The seat flips up so the battery pack can slide out. Nicely engineered, but stupid to deviate from standard components on something like that. If any of these things are around in 10 years those things are going to be impossible to source. But I'm thinking the LaFree will be little more than a bad memory for Giant execs in 10 years.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 05:27:32 AM »
From the sound of some of the other bikes like "Road Women" and "Mountain Woman" the whole company may be archived in ten years.