Author Topic: Band Brakes for Rear Hub Motor  (Read 7049 times)

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
Band Brakes for Rear Hub Motor
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:34:49 AM »
Thinking about the rear hub I ordered, and the fact that it comes with threads on both sides... At first I just assumed I'd cut the threads from the brake side of the hub to reduce the width, but I wonder if actually using it for a there would be a workable idea.  I found a couple of sources (like ElectricScooterParts.com) that carry a decent line of band brakes and disk brake adapters.

With the extra weight in the back, I'm thinking that the rear brake will have a little more stopping oomph than would be expected with a standard bike, but since my bike doesn't have disk brake mounts, I wonder if a band brake woudl be worth the trouble. They are pretty inexpensive, and look like they'd be a cinch to install. I've never ridden any kind of wheeled transport that used band brakes, so I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience using these things. They seem to be used most often on scooters with small diameter wheels, so would the extra torque from a larger wheel make them less effective?

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Band Brakes for Rear Hub Motor
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:58:06 AM »
That is a descent line of brakes, especially considering the price.

Band brakes represent an original braking system after the wooden paddle or steel plate compressed against a tire. The advantage band brakes offer, like drum brakes, is that they protect the braking surfaces from contamination and water, where the holes in the disks are meant to provide a place for contaminates and water so the braking surfaces can touch.

With a regen controller I hardly ever use any brake except the motor, and barely use the front brake to come to a dead stop.

Dat dar is dah lowdown on dem breaks!  ;D

Offline trappermike

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 08:40:11 PM »
I imported some e-bikes from China and they came equipped with rear band brakes. They were almost useless,no stopping power whatsoever!! I almost rear-ended a truck when I had to brake suddenly and learned to allow a lot more stopping distance. I have found rear V-brake equipped e-bikes stop quite well,and you can purchase some good aftermarket pads.
I know from my catalogs there are various sizes of band brake assemblies available,maybe some of the larger versions work better.
Just my 2 cents worth from my own experience... :(

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 09:25:43 PM »
 I rather have disc brakes(or hydralic V-brakes) :)

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 02:46:09 PM »
I imported some e-bikes from China and they came equipped with rear band brakes. They were almost useless,no stopping power whatsoever!! I almost rear-ended a truck when I had to brake suddenly and learned to allow a lot more stopping distance. I have found rear V-brake equipped e-bikes stop quite well,and you can purchase some good aftermarket pads.
I know from my catalogs there are various sizes of band brake assemblies available,maybe some of the larger versions work better.
Just my 2 cents worth from my own experience... :(

A few days after posting this I did some more digging & found the same experience elsewhere; band brakes on large wheels are a bad idea. They apparently work ok on smaller wheels, but when you're talking about the torque from 26" wheels and an adult weight load on the bike the band brakes are overwhelmed. Probably should have posted more on what I found, but my rear wheel kit showed up without the threads on the left side of the motor so the question became moot for me.