Author Topic: Magic Pie Edge: Controller issues  (Read 118 times)

Offline Thingamajig

• Confirmed
Magic Pie Edge: Controller issues
« on: April 14, 2024, 01:44:11 AM »
Hi all.

So I have an issue with my MP Edge - the throttle is stuck on.

After LOTS of diagnostics and prodding and poking with a multimeter, i've determined that the issue lies within the controller itself; as soon as I power up the hub/controller, measuring from the pins, there is 5v present on the Throttle Signal wire of the motor harness. (NOTE: not the harness from the screen to the Motor Harness, literally from the Motor Harness/controller itself!) See attached image.

I also edited this image somewhat, as I found my wiring harness to be different then what was in the original picture, which threw me for quite some time!

From my understanding, the only voltage on this wire should be what comes from the hall sensor itself. As this is not connected (as the Screen harness is unplugged), there should be no voltage on this line at all. So my guess is something is either shorting in the motor harness (wiring loom from controller to center part of bike) or, more likely, some component within the controller itself is faulty.

Now onto the point of my post:

I'm fortunate enough to have access to another controller, but it's a shame to really bin this one as these controllers are becoming increasingly rare and expensive.

Is it possible to repair? are there any schematics for these controllers about?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie Edge: Controller issues
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 11:23:09 PM »

Unfortunately I have not seen any schematics for the internal circuits of this controller, and it is unlikely to be easy to repair because the two circuit boards are typically potted in a silicone gel type compound which makes it very difficult to dismantle the controller to allow any failed components to be replaced:

I see that the Magic Pie Edge controller is still in stock at Golden Motor Canada/North America.
I'm pretty sure that it is basically the same controller as the Smart Pie 5 and Magic Pie 5 but with slightly different firmware.

Alan

Offline Thingamajig

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie Edge: Controller issues
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 12:07:28 PM »

Unfortunately I have not seen any schematics for the internal circuits of this controller, and it is unlikely to be easy to repair because the two circuit boards are typically potted in a silicone gel type compound which makes it very difficult to dismantle the controller to allow any failed components to be replaced:

I see that the Magic Pie Edge controller is still in stock at Golden Motor Canada/North America.
I'm pretty sure that it is basically the same controller as the Smart Pie 5 and Magic Pie 5 but with slightly different firmware.

Alan

Ah thats a real shame. I actually found the potting quite easy to thwart and have full access to both the top and lower layer PCB.