Author Topic: Hooking up GM LEDs 2015  (Read 10772 times)

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Hooking up GM LEDs 2015
« on: November 10, 2015, 02:03:49 AM »
Hi,

Are the new LED's different from the old? I have done some searches and I am confused.  I got some GM LEDs with the horn and the come with a three pin connector with red, green, and yellow wires. Using a MP5.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Hooking up GM LEDs 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 10:27:59 PM »
Here are the details of the light/horn connector that was factory fitted on my most recent Magic Pie wiring harness:

I would expect your three pin connector to connect the red to red, yellow to yellow and green to the combined black/blue ground return.

Please confirm whether (or not) this actually matches the connector on the cable fitted to your GM LED light/horn unit.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:49:48 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:39:00 AM »
I just got my order from GM, And I ordered lights- I wonder why they didn't factory fit mine? Here's a pic attached. It looks like they will not connect, but mine are 36v and it might be smart to use different connecters for different voltage. I will go check and see if the 48 are different. Nope, they are all the same kind of side locking connectors, where as yours have the side locking connectors.  I will contact Kasen and se what he tells me.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:53:38 AM by Dangwillo »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »
Chris, that is actually the correct mating connector and would plug perfectly into my harness connector as it's the same style JST SM connector that the early Magic Pies used:

If you look on the opposite side of your connector you should see a small ramp in the centre where the clip on my connector would hook over to prevent the connector from coming apart on its own:

Alan

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:00:42 PM »
Kassen also sent me these photos showing how they mount.  IN my case I may need to drill a hole, or fabricate some alternative mount. I wished they would have soldier the connectors on them, as I now want to get some JST SM connectors.

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »
Oh and this: I guess I saw this online, but thouhgt since the threads were years old, and my lights came with connectors, I was confused.

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »
Does your wiring harness have two connectors for front and rear?  The rear light has a blue and red wire; where does the blue wire go- ground?  I wanted to be able to avoid soldiering and use connectors but I am at a loss.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:04:53 PM by Dangwillo »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 08:34:57 PM »
I don't have GM lights and my harness only has the one connector, but I would expect the red to be the battery feed from the light switch (red wire) and the blue to be the ground connection (black and blue wires on the harness).

Alan

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 10:06:59 PM »
I am getting into this now, and the MP5 wiring harness has red, yellow, black, and orange, and I need to connect these to the light/horn which is : red, green, and yellow. I am confused.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 10:36:04 PM »
I looks like GM have used an orange wire instead of the original blue wire, but to make sure it might be wise to measure the actual voltage across the wires using a voltmeter with the light switch pressed in (turned on).

The voltmeter should show battery voltage between the red and black wires, and the red and orange wires.
With the horn button pressed you should also have battery voltage between the yellow and black wires, and the yellow and orange wires.

If this is the case, then you can simply join the orange and black wires together to form a common ground return for both the horn and the lights.

Alan

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 10:47:44 PM »
I am now very confused.  I have been messing around with various combinations and the best I got was the light came on with the horn, but it went off with the horn.  Does the horn turn it off and on?  I may have got it.  I will multimeter them and see what I get.

Thanks Alan

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 11:35:41 PM »
So I have an old mulitmeter and I am not that knowledgeable.  I tested the wires coming off th harness, and the only thing I got was about 40 volts coming off the press of the button from the yellow. 

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 12:08:42 AM »

Which button were you pressing to get the ~40V reading, the horn or the lights?

Did you get ~40V between the yellow and orange wires, yellow and black wires or both combinations when you pressed the horn button?

With the light switch turned on (the switch on the throttle unit pressed fully in) you should have a similar voltage reading on the red wire.

Alan

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 12:12:47 AM »
I was only pressing the horn button? Where is the light button? :o  Is that the button on the throttle I thought was the on/off throttle?  So now I know. Here is a pic of the wires? And I tested the wires again- Red comes on and stays on when I push light button.  So it should be red to red, yellow to yellow, and green to black/orange?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 12:28:58 AM by Dangwillo »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 12:36:36 AM »
So it should be red to red, yellow to yellow, and green to black/orange?

That sounds about right to me, but don't forget to connect the red and blue wires from the rear light as well.
(red to red and blue to black/orange)

Alan