Author Topic: Best battery for first ebike  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Mathzaros

• Confirmed
Best battery for first ebike
« on: March 23, 2015, 05:51:49 PM »
Hello,
I'm thinking about getting a Magic Pie 4 but for now my budget is restricted. I was asking what speed I was able to get with a 36v 10ah battery like this one: https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/730-36v10ah-bottle-09-e-bike-battery-charger-battery.html
I know it's not the best one and I will eventually get a lifepo4 46v but for now, is it ok? What speed I will be able to get an approximately what distance?

Thanks!  ;)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Best battery for first ebike
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 10:17:35 PM »

With a 26" MP4 you should reach around 20mph (32km/h) with a 36V pack.

The range is impossible to predict because it can vary tremendously as it is dependant upon so many different factors (Speed, Weight, tyre types and pressures, road surfaces, inclines, headwinds and the amount of pedal assistance etc.)

Check out Bartek's Range Simulator and try it for yourself.

Alan

Offline Mathzaros

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 10:47:26 PM »
Ok thanks! 32km/h is without pedalling ? Also, do you have some informations for the simulator. I don't know what's the torque of the motor and what I need to put in max efficiency. Thanks a lot!  ;)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 12:44:17 AM »

It should be able to reach 32km/h on the flat without pedalling (or slower for a larger rider due to the increased wind resistance).

I would suggest using 30Nm for the torque and 80% for the max efficiency.

Alan

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 01:30:03 AM »
One point I'd like to make is that you will have to limit the maximum continuous amps that the motor will draw since the battery you've listed has a maximum continuous output of 20 amps, otherwise you will shorten the life of your battery or possibly cause damage.

Offline Mathzaros

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 01:40:42 AM »
OK thank you all! Now the only problem is that the kit will cost me 800$... I was thinking of a more cheaper build. Do you now some cheaper motor kit that can reach at least 30km/h. I will try to run my first summer with a cheap one and see if I like it and than buy a Magic Pie. I don't know if some kit exist at 200-250$. Thanks!

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 01:50:30 AM »
Most 36V systems will get you up to at least 30km/h on a 26 inch wheel on a flat surface. How about the Smart Pie?:
http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/26-Inch-Rear-Smart-Pie-Conversion-Kit-with-Internal-Built%252din-Controller.html

Offline Mathzaros

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 02:12:51 AM »
Yhea... I'm a bist lost with what I want and my budget. What you propose seem's great but my dream is to get 45km/h with good torque so for that I need the Magic Pie! I'm a student so 800$ one shot is bad for my budget... I will think about it!

Also I saw that you need to choose 48v throttle or 36v throttle. Does that mean that I need to take the 36v version and when I will buy a 48v I will need to buy the 48v throttle?

Thanks!  :)

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 02:51:44 AM »
If you are not sure than you should do some more reading/research about what you can buy within your budget before buying. The only difference between the voltage rating on the throttle is for the battery indicator LEDs. If you take the 36V version and later upgrade to a 48V system, the LEDs that indicate the battery level (full, half and empty)won't work right. The throttle itself will still work fine and be able to control the motor speed.

Offline Mathzaros

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:01:02 AM »
I know what I want but my budget doesn't want the same thing!  :'( ;) Thanks for the infos!

PS: Do you know where I can get a cheaper battery or the one I choose is one of the cheapest? I want minimum 36v for the lowest price. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:09:24 AM by Mathzaros »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 12:52:38 PM »
Buying a battery because it is the "cheapest" rarely ever goes well. If you want to start with something less expensive you may want to go with SLA batteries for the first year.. You just need to deal with the extra weight. A lot of people do that to get started but in the long run it becomes more expencive then just buying the battery you should buy in the first place.

One "cheap" battery plus one good battery is more expencive than one good battery.

Gary