Author Topic: Help for homemade throttle  (Read 5427 times)

Offline AnotherLars

• Confirmed
Help for homemade throttle
« on: March 17, 2015, 12:40:03 PM »
Hello everyone

I'm running at Frontwheel Smartpie 3 solution with the 48v battery kit from Golden Motor.

Everything works fine but my Throttle is broken after a few years of use. Since I ride every day I'm looking for an alternative solution.

My wish is that I can just turn the engine on and off from a simple switch. The controller is programmed to low speed and minimal accleration , so I always run at full throttle.

In this forum I have read all subjects dealing the throttle, but without really found the answer to my question!

Is it possible that the destroyed throotle can be modified so that for example the red button is used for the purpose? What components (resistors , diodes) should I buy for the system to work, and which wires shall be connected to the switch , etc?

Thanks in advance for your input : -)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 12:44:21 PM by AnotherLars »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Help for homemade throttle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »
Hi Lars andto the forum.

Using a simple "latching" switch might not be a very safe option. If you were to accidentally operate the switch while stationary, the bike could take off on its own as soon as you released the brakes.

A better solution would be to use a momentary press switch so that the motor would only work while the button was held down. This could then be used in conjunction with the cruise control button to allow continuous full throttle while riding, but it would instantly cut the motor power when you applied the brakes, and would not automatically return to full power when the brakes were released again.

It should be relatively easy to achieve your objective using a momentary "push to make" switch, three resistors and a diode. I will try and post further details when I get chance.

You will need to use just the three wires from the old throttle which are connected to the hall sensor, but I'm not sure what the wire colours are going to be on your particular throttle.

Is your broken throttle a thumb throttle or a twist throttle?

Do you also want to retain the battery meter LED function on the old throttle?

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:07:46 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:39:02 PM »
It should be relatively easy to achieve your objective using a momentary "push to make" switch, three resistors and a diode. I will try and post further details when I get chance.

This was what I had in mind:

The colours of your wires connected to the hall sensor may be different to the colours that I have shown in the above diagram, so make a note of what they are before you disconnect any of them from the old hall sensor.

I have sized the resistors to give a switch open throttle signal voltage of ~1V after the 0.6V drop across the diode. This should be high enough not to trigger a throttle fault error, but low enough that the motor will not run (or cause the throttle safety feature to activate) when you switch the power on.

The switch closed voltage should be ~3.9V, which is high enough to give full power, but not high enough to trigger a high voltage throttle fault (just in case the controller uses this function).

The resistors could be purchased individually, but I would suggest that you purchase an assortment of resistors so you have plenty to play with and different values to substitute if the two set voltages need to be altered slightly.

The switch will depend on your existing throttle, and it might be worth seeing if you can disable the latching mechanism on your existing switch to make it into a momentary push switch.

Be careful with the existing wires on the switch as one of the two contacts is connected to the battery main supply voltage and the battery gauge circuit board, these two wires will need to be soldered together and safely insulated.
The other switch connector has a single wire which supplies battery voltage to the LED headlight via the switch. If you have an LED headlight powered by the main battery, you can simply join this wire to the other two wires previously mentioned so the headlamp remains on all the time, or simply insulate it and leave it disconnected if you don't have an LED headlamp already connected.

Alan
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:07:33 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Mogal

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 01:54:43 AM »
I kinda like this idea!

It would be nice to have a button that would resume cruise control...
 - have a default setting of 32km...

Offline AnotherLars

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 08:00:39 AM »
Hello Alan (Bikemad)

Sorry for the late reply!

I use the thumb-trottle, and I totally agree that my request may cause problems with security, so the proposed solution with a button that you are forced to press, is an optimal solution. I will se if I can remove the latching mechanism of the (light-switch) or replace it. I don't use the headlight opportunity!

Many thanks for that great diagram Bikemad and the incredibly good support you provide on this forum. This is precisely why I choose components based on Golden Motor compared to other providers.

Best regards

Lars

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »
Fortunately for you, the thumb throttle comes apart very easily.

Check out this post for more details.

Alan