Author Topic: MP4 and PAS support?  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Haggan

• Confirmed
MP4 and PAS support?
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »
Is the support for pedal assist working with the MP4 engine?

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP4 and PAS support?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 12:45:22 PM »
If you check out one of my previous posts you can read about my experience with using the pedal assist function on the MP4 using the BAC-601 Smart Display to control the pedelec function:

Although the Pedal assist ratio can be set using the program software, I'm pretty sure that you will still need the BAC-601 Smart Display unit to be able to select the required pedal assistance level which needs to be done each time you switch on the battery, because the PAS is automatically re-set to "level 0" (Off) when the battery is turned off.

Check out the BAC-601 User Guide for further information.

Alan

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 11:58:20 PM »
Although the Pedal assist ratio can be set using the program software, I'm pretty sure that you will still need the BAC-601 Smart Display unit to be able to select the required pedal assistance level which needs to be done each time you switch on the battery, because the PAS is automatically re-set to "level 0" (Off) when the battery is turned off.

I briefly tried disconnecting the BAC-601 Smart Display earlier today on my latest MP4 controller and the pedelec does still work without it, although with my existing power settings I find it is a bit too aggressive.

If I didn't have the BAC-601 Smart Display it should be possible to reduce the Pedal assist ratio in the software to tame it down a bit, but as I much prefer having selectable level settings I have plugged the Smart Display back in, which means I don't need to mess about with the existing parameter settings.

If you have the latest version of the vector controller you don't need the Smart Display unit for the pedelec to work, but after using it many times over the past few weeks, I would not enjoy having to use pedelec without it.

Alan

Offline Haggan

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:48:25 AM »
Great!

Will test it out ASAP!

Offline Haggan

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 06:43:38 PM »
My dealer in Sweden said that PAS do not work. And I will get Replacement controller. When connecting the engine to the programming console is there any way to get info what version of controller I have?

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 07:24:40 PM »
Unfortunately, you cannot tell the controller version from the programming software. To determine which controller you have you will need to check the printed label that should be attached to the outer face of the controller:

If you're lucky, you may be able to read the details through the slots in the cooling fan/brake disc mounting unit.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:13:35 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Haggan

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »
Thanks I do that.

Does the label says Mp5 ? on the picture A new version or?

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 09:19:15 PM »
Yes it does say MP5, but it is not a new version. The MP4 was originally named MP5 during development, but this was later changed to MP4 instead. I seem to recall that the number "4" is unlucky in China, and this was why they were reluctant to use it in the first place.

The controller shown in my last post is an original pre-production sample vector controller that I struggled to fit into an early MPIII, but after a lot of work, it was quickly removed again because it would not function correctly on the MPIII. :(

Alan