Author Topic: Li Ion charger for LiFePo4  (Read 4973 times)

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Li Ion charger for LiFePo4
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:40:39 AM »
Is there a difference between chargers for Li Ion and LiFePo4? I must noticed the chargers shipped with my GM 48volt 10amp LiFePo4 batteries are labelled "for Li Ion battery only".

Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Li Ion charger for LiFePo4
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »
Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) and Lithium Manganese Oxide (LiMn2O4) are two different types of Li-Ion batteries and both of these are therefore charged in a similar fashion using a Li-Ion battery charger.

The chargers will both charge at constant fixed current until the maximum voltage is reached and then automatically continue charging at the fixed maximum voltage until the current falls below a predetermined level (this is often referred to as constant current/constant voltage charging).

The main difference in the two 48V chargers is the maximum output voltage, which is usually clearly marked on the charger:

The output voltage of the LiFePO4 chargers should be 58.4V (16 cells @ 3.65V) whereas the older LiMn2O4 chargers were only 54.6V (13 cells @ 4.2V).

I suspect the reason they are labelled "for Li Ion battery only" is to try and ensure that they are not used with incompatible battery types such as NiCd or NiMh etc. as this could easily damage the battery and in some cases it can even make batteries explode. :o

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:35:08 AM by Bikemad »

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Li Ion charger for LiFePo4
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 02:48:04 PM »
Thanks Alan:

That's a somewhat confusing way to label the charger as LiMn charges at 54 volts, but I see your point in both chemistries being a type of Li Ion battery.  :o

(the other) Alan