Author Topic: No Thumb throttle pro kit 901.  (Read 4480 times)

Offline trike

• Confirmed
No Thumb throttle pro kit 901.
« on: November 20, 2014, 04:36:26 AM »
Can anyone tell me if I can run my Pro Kit 901 without the Thumb Throttle. I am using the 901 on a handcycle . I use the PAS system all the time when I am riding. The thumb throttle takes up to much room. Could I have the throttle via a Pot so I can mount it out of the way. Thanks for your help.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: No Thumb throttle pro kit 901.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »
It might work without a throttle, but some controllers had a fail-safe mode where the cruise button could be pressed to provide half throttle if the throttle failed.

If you unplug your throttle and the pedelec still works, you won't have to worry about the throttle fail-safe mode.

A 10kOhm potentiometer could be used as a throttle, but as there is no return spring to close the throttle, you would need to wire the throttle signal through a momentary push switch to ensure the throttle can't stay on unintentionally, and also to prevent the motor cut-out safety feature from activating when the power is turned on when the throttle is not closed.

If your controller has the throttle fail-safe function, you will need a 12kOhm resistor between the +5v and the signal side of the switch to prevent the throttle fail-safe mode from being activated.

Alan

Offline trike

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »
Thanks Alan. I am using the goldenmotor controller BAC-281P External. When using the 10k pot is if off when it is set 10k?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 10:19:14 PM »
Off is when the wiper arm of the pot is turned fully anticlockwise towards "A" (the 0V contact):

"A" = 0V          "W" = throttle signal       "B" = +5V

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:30:10 PM by Bikemad »