Author Topic: Throttle/Controller Issues  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Brendon1128

• Confirmed
Throttle/Controller Issues
« on: October 31, 2014, 10:42:51 PM »
Hi, I've been running my Smart Pie 3 internal for about 6 months now, and have started to have issues with connections. First, about a few weeks back the regen braking stopped working. When I apply the regen brakes, it works almost minimally (as though it were set to 5% even though I have it set at 90%). I tried using the USB to re-program the controller and reset it. It worked for a day or two, then went back to being almost minimal. It can't be an issue with the e-brakes since the brakes still cut off the throttle when I'm braking.

Now, about 3 days ago, I've been having an issue with my throttle itself. Most of the time when I plug my battery in, it hasn't been working. The lights all come on which show the battery's fully charged, but when I twist, I get nothing. It resolves itself when I unplug the throttle from the wiring harness, then re-plug it back in.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Throttle/Controller Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:11:03 PM »
I tried using the USB to re-program the controller and reset it. It worked for a day or two, then went back to being almost minimal.

If the controller loses its settings and re-programming it puts it right again, there is definitely a fault with the controller:

Problem solved, it was software problems!
My computer did bot at first connect to the controller!
But when it did, the settings were set to 1A to the engine????

It happened over night?

I have had a customer that had this issue before. Only one out of many, many customers so this is vary rare. Every once in a while the controller would lose its programming. I have no idea why. A replacement controller solved the issue.

Gary

Connect your USB lead and then read the existing parameters from the controller and take a screen shot of the current settings.
(Press "Alt" and "PrintScrn" together to capture just the open program window instead of the entire desktop)
Paste the captured image into MS Paint (or your preferred drawing package) and then save it as screenshot.jpg
(or whatever you prefer) and then attach it to your next post.

If replacing the controller doesn't cure the throttle problem, it could be either the throttle itself, or the main control harness that has a poor connection internally, or it could simply be a poor connection between the throttle  plug and the harness connector.

Alan

Offline Brendon1128

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »
I tried connecting my Smart Pie to my computer this morning and it doesnt appear to be reading it at all. It doesnt beep anymore or give me the current parameters. I also cannot reset it. Its as though the program doesnt recognize the pie is connected.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »
I think the controller could be faulty which might also be preventing it from connecting with the PC.

Contact your supplier and explain your problem and hopefully they will be able to sort you out with a replacement controller.

Alan