Author Topic: EZee hub motor problem  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Avivz

• Confirmed
EZee hub motor problem
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:08:31 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I have an EZee hub motor, which has worked great in the past couple of years.
However, a few weeks back the motor started to make some noises every now and then, though I still was able to bike.
Gradually, the engines made those noises (kind of "roars") more and more frequent, until it started to roar and stop (turning the throttle results in a a short roar with wheel turns a little, and then it stops), and then, and after a couple of more tries the motor would sound a tiny "click" and won't respond (not even roars or spins).
If I let the motor rest for a 5-10, it will then repeat- short roars, wheel turns a little less every time, until it won't respond.

I then opened the top cover of the hub motor to look inside, but everything looks pretty normal- when the wheels spin, it looks the way it should, but- it makes this noise as if the wheels are out of synch with each other or something is in the way of the wheels. But everything looks fine..

Any chance to fix it, or do I have to break a saving to buy a new motor ...?

Thanks for helping!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: EZee hub motor problem
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 12:25:52 AM »
Hi Avivz andto the forum.

From your description alone it is very difficult to tell what the problem might be, some pictures (or perhaps a short video) might be helpful. ;)

Unless you have a problem with overheated windings, or badly seized bearings, it should be possible to repair the motor as the main parts that wear should be available from ebikes.ca.

When the wheel doesn't respond, are you able to easily turn it backwards by hand, or is it very stiff to move?

Quote from: ebikes.ca
How long do the gears actually last? Will they need replacement?
So far our own concerns about the longevity of the gears in these motors have been laid to rest by experience. With many hundreds of eZee motors sold over the last 3 years, the number of gearing related failures is less than 2%. Opening up and replacing the insides of the eZee motor is very straightforward if servicing is required, and we do carry replacement gears and freewheeling clutch assemblies just in case.

Also, check all your electrical connections to the motor and controller etc. to make sure that everything is plugged in fully and making good connections.

Alan