Author Topic: Programming the Vector Controller  (Read 68268 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Programming the Vector Controller
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »
I don't think it's live programming of the controller, it simply alters the level of the throttle or pedelec assistance.

When the vector controller is accessed in programming mode the motor cannot be used until the USB lead is unplugged (or the program is closed) and the battery power is then switched OFF and back ON again to reset the controller to run mode.

Alan

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:10:20 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Scooter

• Confirmed
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 05:25:51 PM »
http://goldenmotor.com/e-Bike-DIY/BAC-601%20LCD%20User%20Guide.pdf

This is the download for the controller instructions.
I'm waiting on a new controller (the one I received was bogus)...so I have not been able to use the Smart Display (BAC-601). In perusing the buttons and functions, I fear it will need updating. My hope is that my assumption that the rider must click the UP button four times before every ride (to get it to level 5 of the PAC). This will suck BIG TIME if this is the case...
The controller is set to arrive today so hopefully I'll have it up and running by this weekend.
I'll report, of course.
Staying young thru our toys.

Offline Scooter

• Confirmed
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 06:42:50 PM »
Having nothing but problems with the controller and the USB cable. trying to get it sorted with GM.

Question: is there a difference (to the controller) if the battery is a 48volt 10Ah battery compared to a 48volt 20Ah?? I would suspect not...but...

I mean, the 20 is identical to the 10 except for the duration it can supply power (current), yes?
The power (current) it supplies is the same, yes?

(It would be the Volts that determines the "strength" of the current delivered, yes?)

thanx!
Staying young thru our toys.

Offline Zerogee

• Confirmed
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 03:17:49 AM »
I have the Smart-Pie 4 and have successfully interfaced with it on my Win7 laptop and the 5pin USB cable. I have been using the PI-800 software Ver. LBMC GUI V3.1.3 (b14-0704) I downloaded this from Golden Motor Canada.

I installed the driver as per instructions. After the first attemp Windows gave some message about installing a more suitable version? I clicked Yes. It reinstalled the driver. No message that time. I connected the USB cable as per instructions. Windows started searching Windows Update for a driver. It installed a driver and notified me that the device was ready to use. It also said that CH341 was on COM 4. Windows did this when I plugged the cable into a different USB port too, COM 5 that time.   Anyway, loading the program and connecting to the controller as per instructions. It gives me only one COM port to connect to, COM 4. EASY! You only have to connect to it once for the whole session. Make a change as per instructions. Test the change as per instructions. Do this over and over. Connecting to the COM port once for the entire session. EASY. Thanks for the instructions Alan.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:30:57 AM by zerogee »

Offline Zerogee

• Confirmed
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 01:31:20 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a 12.5" Front Smart Pie 4 with the Vector controller (setup as a rear wheel). I am using it with the GM 48V 10Ah pack. I have been using the PI-800 software Ver. LBMC GUI V3.1.3 (b14-0704) that I downloaded from Golden Motor Canada. My top speed is about 23-24kph. My range on flat roads is about 37km (to the Yellow light, 49V measured with multimeter) and about 30km(to the Red light, 46V) on hilly roads. Here are my current settings below. I have a few questions on the settings.

"PAS Ratio (0.1 Times)" I don't have PAS connected. I don't see a way to disable this option. Does this setting get ignored if none is found? or is there an optimum setting if not using PAS?

"Main Battery Current (A)" and "Rated Phase Value (A)" Is there a more optimum /safer setting for my hubmotor /battery combo?

"Maximum Forward Speed (rpm)" What's the maximum RPM that this hubmotor is capable of? I noticed the program will allow me to set it to 700. Will this hubmotor actually do that? FYI, with my current settings my MAX speed is just under 24 kph (measured by GPS) on full charge. This is about 2kph higher than the Torque and Speed spreadsheet.

"Acceleration %" This version of the program uses the 1-5 values. 5=100% (this was too harsh on pavement and spins out on gravel), and I assume 4=80% (takes about 10sec to my full speed, much nicer on a mountainboard).

Is there a guide available anywhere? Is there better version of the software than I am using?

BTW, I originally installed the wheel wrong and rather than modifying my torque brackets I tried to set the wheel into Reverse. I did this successfully however, the Cruise Control was disabled in Reverse and I could not see a way to enable that feature. So, I modified my brackets and flipped the wheel over correctly.

Thanks.
Myron
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:40:31 AM by Zerogee »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 02:19:59 PM »
I have a few questions on the settings.

"PAS Ratio (0.1 Times)" I don't have PAS connected. I don't see a way to disable this option. Does this setting get ignored if none is found? or is there an optimum setting if not using PAS?

If you do not have a PAS sensor fitted, this figure will have no effect. When using pedelec, this figure effects how much power is provided by the motor in relation to the speed of the pedals. There is no optimum setting as it will depend on each riders preferred Cadence (pedal rate).

"Main Battery Current (A)" and "Rated Phase Value (A)" Is there a more optimum /safer setting for my hubmotor /battery combo?

The settings you currently have seem OK for your battery/motor. Increasing the current setting might allow you to climb steep hills at a faster speed, but the Smart Pie is less efficient under high loads and could be more likely to overheat, but with a 12" wheel I think you are unlikely to strain it too much.

"Maximum Forward Speed (rpm)" What's the maximum RPM that this hubmotor is capable of? I noticed the program will allow me to set it to 700. Will this hubmotor actually do that? FYI, with my current settings my MAX speed is just under 24 kph (measured by GPS) on full charge. This is about 2kph higher than the Torque and Speed spreadsheet.

The maximum forward speed is ultimately controlled by the battery voltage, so your motor is unlikely to manage anywhere near 700rpm on 48V. Although you can easily reduce your maximum speed by altering the software settings, you can not increase it above the voltage limited maximum speed. If you are reaching 24km/h with a 12.5" wheel it must be spinning at nearly 400rpm, which could the most you are likely to achieve on 48V.

Is there a guide available anywhere? Is there better version of the software than I am using?

I haven't come across a user guide for the vector controller. Perhaps GM will produce a basic guide similar to the PDF version that was supplied with the earlier software.

The latest software on the GM website for the vector controller can be found here, but it may not be any better than what you are currently using.

BTW, I originally installed the wheel wrong and rather than modifying my torque brackets I tried to set the wheel into Reverse. I did this successfully however, the Cruise Control was disabled in Reverse and I could not see a way to enable that feature. So, I modified my brackets and flipped the wheel over correctly.

It would seem very sensible to disable the cruise function while in reverse, but as you have already said, there are times when it is desirable.
I have not yet tried using cruise in reverse, so it looks like I may have to try it out to see if it is still the same with my most recent controller.

Alan

Having tested my MP4 earlier today, I can confirm that the cruise control does not work in reverse on mine either.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:56:31 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Mgizen

• Confirmed
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2015, 03:29:40 AM »
Where would I find the torque and speed spreadsheet you guys are speaking of?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 11:39:42 AM »
Where would I find the torque and speed spreadsheet you guys are speaking of?

It is in the same Dropbox folder as the other programs, but if you're having problems accessing the Dropbox folder, you can download the spreadsheet attachment from the original post instead.

Alan

Offline Maf1

• Confirmed
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 04:33:03 PM »
Hello guys!

I got an Magic Pie 4 Vector 48V in my Mountainbike and it works realy fine!
But can somebody tell me what " Decel level 1(rpm/s) Acceleration means?
Here are my settings!
Thanks!

Best Regards!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »
I have no idea where the "Decel level" came from as it should really read "Maximum Reverse Speed (rpm)".

Adjusting this setting will determine the maximum speed in reverse, but it will only make a difference if a reverse switch has been installed.

I also noticed that you have altered the "Maximum Forward speed (rpm)" to 500. If you reduce this setting to ~360 (if using a 48V battery) I think you will find the motor speed will be more closely matched to the throttle control movement.  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 05:23:18 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Trim4

• Confirmed
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 11:33:14 PM »
Totally stumped, Smart Pie 4 just won't connect. Tried on Win 8 and 7. Both computers verified successful driver install. Correct Com port shows up on both when the vector cable is plugged in. When trying to connect, get the usual timeout box. Power up controller, and nothing. Has anyone had a bad cable ? Can't think of any other reason, so am all ears. I want to turn on the regen and adjust it.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 10:08:32 AM »
As it is showing up on the COM port list I assume that you must have the correct USB cable with the 5 pin connector.

I am puzzled because you say that you want to "turn on the regen", as regen is usually enabled by default at the factory.
Have you previously been able to connect to the controller to turn it off?

Try the following and see if any of them makes any difference to the connecting problem:
  • Disconnect the main harness from the motor harness
  • Make sure that the unused wires for Pedelec and Reverse are not exposed and touching
  • Use a different version of the programming software
  • Uninstall the USB-SERIAL CH340 (COMxx) and delete the driver software and then download and run and the CH341SER.EXE program and install the driver before rescanning for new devices and see if Windows installs the correct driver automatically

If none of the above helps, the problem must be one of three things:
  • The USB lead
  • The controller
  • A compatibility problem with both of the laptops (Electronic Nut only had success after trying a fourth laptop)

If only there were another GM customer near to you it would make it a lot easier to pinpoint the problem by trying a different combination of laptop, cable  and controller until the exact cause was found.

If you were to send your USB cable to Gary with a prepaid self-addressed return envelope, I'm sure he could quickly test it with another controller/laptop to find out if the cable is working correctly. ;)

Alan

Offline Trim4

• Confirmed
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 01:40:06 PM »
Thanks Alan, I have the correct cable, I dealt with the chopped pedelic cable when I received  kit, separating and insulating wires. The usb software I used is the latest from GM Canada site, is it different from your dropbox version? Where can a different programming software be had? I am assuming regen is either not working or turned way down as I can't feel any resistance when brakes applied. That may be normal.
Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 10:01:34 PM »
The software on the GM Canada site is the same as the one in the "Latest programming software from GM site" folder inside the Dropbox folder.
The other two versions in the Dropbox folder (Original and Revised) are older editions of the programming software.
The "Revised" version should still work with recent MP4 and SP4 controllers, but the "Original" version would only work properly with one of the very early MP4 or SP4 controllers.

I am assuming regen is either not working or turned way down as I can't feel any resistance when brakes applied. That may be normal.

If you raise the driven wheel off the ground, spin it up using the throttle and then pull the brake lever for the non-driven wheel the motor will cut out. If regen is not working it will take some time for it to slow down (just like it does when the throttle is released), but if regen is working, the motor should stop the wheel fairly quickly.

There was a post recently where one of the brake levers was faulty and simply shorted out the throttle feed instead of correctly disabling the controller output and activating the regen.

Alan

Offline Trim4

• Confirmed
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 11:56:56 PM »
Thanks Alan , I will try different drivers, and I will check the regen with the wheel spin, nice tip.
Will report back