Author Topic: 3-position handlebar switch with high voltages?  (Read 5850 times)

Offline E-recumbent

• Confirmed
3-position handlebar switch with high voltages?
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:44:29 PM »
I would like to have a easy to reach "Master kill switch", so I can cut the power manually in case of some weird software failure, if the system thinks the throttle is stuck on full power or something. This would need to be able to handle 48V.

Can the Handlebar mounted 3-position switch take care of it?
If not... What good "kill switch solutions" are available (if the 3-position is not up for the task)?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 3-position handlebar switch with high voltages?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 10:14:49 PM »

Hi Kent, unfortunately the three position switch is only suitable for low current use (2-3 Amps max) and you would need a switch that can handle at least 30 Amps to safely carry the full current being drawn from the battery by the motor.

Here are a couple of switch suggestions:

100Amp Battery Isolator Key Switch

Although these battery isolator switches are very robust, they can also be more awkward to mount on the bike due to their size.

16 AMP DPDT Rocker Switch

Although this is only rated as a 16 Amp switch, because it is a double pole switch, there are two sets of contacts which are each capable of carrying 16 Amps. If both pairs of contacts are wired in parallel, the 16 Amp switch should then be able to safely carry 32 Amps.

Whichever switch you decide to use, it might be better to mount it on the frame (rather than on the handlebars) so that the thick wires carrying the current are not being subjected to continual flexing (caused by the movement of the handlebars while steering and balancing etc.) which could eventually lead to cable failure due to metal fatigue.

Alan

Offline E-recumbent

• Confirmed
Re: 3-position handlebar switch with high voltages?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 07:49:21 AM »
OK, thanks. Hmm, I must check if I can arrange the batterypack so I can reach the key on it. That might be a better solution.