Author Topic: Magic Pie III USB Programming a 48 volt to 32 kph and 500w  (Read 10037 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Magic Pie III USB Programming a 48 volt to 32 kph and 500w
« on: October 02, 2012, 02:17:18 AM »
I have done a little playing around with the settings in my MP3. I see many people have asked what the setting should be for getting it within street legal limits. Funny thing is many ask but no one seems to share the settings. I can only attribute this to how easy it was to get things set correctly for my bike. Maybe its so simple people don't bother to come back to post there results.

So armed with my laptop, an MP III USB Cable I set up to see what I could figure out. I did real world street tests on my way home from work and used my Cycle Analyst to read the results of each setting.

The first thing I noticed is the default settings when the screen comes up.

The program opens displaying an error MSG. Is seems the default setting on a controller is 70 amps peak. When you try to save it the highest setting is 50 peak. Could this be why in the past some have felt a loss of power when altering the settings?

The first thing I set was the speed scale. After about 5 start/stops and cruising around it seems in my situation 72 percent is the magic number. I roll along at 32 kph. Most times a little slower going up a slight grade and a little faster going down a grade.

Next is the watts. Now I believe the law is 500w output and the Cycle Analyst measures input. With say a 80 percent efficiency that would mean 600 watts input continuous. Am I thinking correctly? After playing with the numbers it seems 17 continuous and 45 peak gives it 800watts peak and 400 to 600 watts continuous.

The last setting I did was the RPM. I believe it is how fast the bike will accelerate to peak watts. at 100 percent you take off full power at lower setting you can make it take up to 2 seconds to reach full peak power. I cut mine to 90 percent and it eliminated a vibration I get when taking off. Here are my final settings.

I hope this becomes useful to others. Please note this is a rear 26 inch MP III with a 26 x 2.35 tire. The bike is loaded down with a heavy rider, 3 48v10ah batteries a rear MP III (removed the front MP III for these tests) a trailer and a lot of goodies for work in it. Total rolling weight is 450 to 500 lbs.

Anyone else performing the same tests please include your settings and results here as well.

Gary

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:19:16 AM by GM Canada »

Offline Deville

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie III USB Programming a 48 volt to 32 kph and 500w
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 10:38:04 PM »
Thanks Gary,

This will come in handy when I upgrade to a 48v battery. I don't really need or want to go much faster then 35 - 40km anyways, and will only be upgrading to 48 v to get a bit more hill climbing torque as I have some pretty serious hills around my house and 36v doesn't quite cut it.

I'm curious though, do these lower settings to the amps, speed scale etc. effect the overall hill climbing torque, or do you still get the full 48v climbing torque as you would on full settings?

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 06:03:55 PM »
Yes the torque will be different.

Because when the current limit is set.
And the motor require higher current/power it wouldn't go further then preferred (set) current.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:33:14 PM by spellchecker »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »
Thanks Gary,

This will come in handy when I upgrade to a 48v battery. I don't really need or want to go much faster then 35 - 40km anyways, and will only be upgrading to 48 v to get a bit more hill climbing torque as I have some pretty serious hills around my house and 36v doesn't quite cut it.

I'm curious though, do these lower settings to the amps, speed scale etc. effect the overall hill climbing torque, or do you still get the full 48v climbing torque as you would on full settings?

Yes certainly the torque is reduced as you lower the amps. I did the test above withe my front MP3 removed and only a rear on the bike. I noticed after a few more tests that 74 percent speed scale seemed to average 32kph better. I have since put the front MP3 back on the bike and with dual drive the settings for continuos amps and peak amps of course had to be lowered. This certainly cuts the hill climbing power. A few more tests and I upped bothe motors to 30 continuos and 50 peak. At this settings the bike has maximum power again but still goes 32kph max speed. Wen running at max speed the watts drawn reduce to 300-400 watts continuos. This now brings an interesting question. At take off its close to 3000 watts, when it hit 32kph it's about 300. Is this considered peak and continuos watts?

Gary

Offline vptech

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »
The program opens displaying an error MSG. Is seems the default setting on a controller is 70 amps peak. When you try to save it the highest setting is 50 peak. Could this be why in the past some have felt a loss of power when altering the settings

So can you change it back 70 amps after?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 01:26:18 AM »
The program opens displaying an error MSG. Is seems the default setting on a controller is 70 amps peak. When you try to save it the highest setting is 50 peak. Could this be why in the past some have felt a loss of power when altering the settings

So can you change it back 70 amps after?

As stated When you try to save it the highest setting is 50 peak. But you can raise the acceleration and forward speed scale from default to 100 percent. Giving more power then the default settings

Gary

Offline AndyMcG

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »
I've started programming my MPIII and was curious, would reducing max continuous amps increase the range? I'm using a single 48v10Ah battery on a single pie. And currently get a 40km range depending on the ride. I don't necessarily need more range, just wondered if it was possible. If one wanted to go for a longer ride could the pie be programmed to accommodate?