Author Topic: Cycle Analyst setup / twist throttle wire color codes  (Read 7644 times)

Offline Duck

• Confirmed
Cycle Analyst setup / twist throttle wire color codes
« on: September 30, 2012, 07:40:48 AM »
So, I did all the research to hook up the 2.2 Cycle Analyst and after several days of research I never could find the twist throttle color codes. SO, after disassembling/reasembling it I was able to narrow it down to 3 wires and after further soldering and testing I now have the cycle analyst working as intended!

There are two ways to set up the v2.2 cycle analyst the first requires running a wire from inside the MP III (hooked to the post throttle resistor) to the CA. This mode only operates as a throttle wire voltage shunt. If your CA is 2.2+ like mine there is a seperate contact on the circuit board marked 'TH0' that routes right to a diode so that you don't need to splice one in.

I didn't want to have to open the MP III up so I used the other way...

The second way is the 'Current Throttle or Cruise Control setup' (v2.2 or higher). This mode works by intercepting the throttle signal. all you have to do is run the throttle signal and ground into the CA and then back out to the prefabricated MP III wireing harness. I used a USB cable since it was all I had at the time but it worked very well. I Cut the twist throttle cable in half and used a length of the USB cable to run it in and then back out of the CA's housing.

On the CA's circuit card the twist throttle wires go to: Ground (Black) goes to the 'G', Throttle signal (Green) goes to Vi, and 5v to Throttle (White) goes right to the 'CA to MP III harness' cable. The white wire doesn't connect to the circuit card at all.
From the wiring harness to the CA you want to run: Ground (Black) goes to the 'G', Throttle signal (Green) goes to Th, and 5v to Throttle (White) goes right to the cable going to the throttle.

I decided to not hook up the orange and brown wires at all since my bike has lights that are seperate from the MP III setup and the CA uses its shunt for voltage/amperage. I also didn't want to run an unnecessary high voltage wire into my shiney expensive new CA....

!!!SAFETY TIP!!!
Hook up the shunt first and power the system on before hooking up any throttle wires and go into setup->Advanced and set AuxVoltage input to either the current or speed limit first, otherwise the system WILL TAKE OFF AT FULL POWER WHEN TURNED ON!!!. Also, never set the Aux Threshold to '0v' as the system WILL TAKE OFF AT FULL POWER WHEN YOU EXIT SETUP!!! and trust me, I learned the hard way... 48v system with no rider is a nightmare to get ahold of after it goes wild...
!!!SAFETY TIP!!!

Since the MP3s have a prefabricated harness with specific plugs it doesn't follow the same color coding as the MP2 or older it can be a bit daunting, BUT NO MORE! I have included the wire colors and opperation below:

Twist Throttle Wire Colors:
Black - Ground
White - 5v To throttle POT
Green - Throttle Signal to controller
Orange - High Voltage!!!
Brown - Light Switch Signal

Acronyms: 
CA - Cycle Analyst 2.2+
MP3 - Magic Pie III
POT - Potentiometer

~Duck
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:19:18 PM by Master_Quack14 »
Everything is better with more horsepower!

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Cycle Analyst setup / twist throttle wire color codes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 01:12:19 AM »
Nice Job Master Quack14!

I have recently been thinking of creating a video on how to do the CA setup on the MP3. You post today is very impressive. Any chance you can provide some pictures of your work. With a few pictures it would make a nice complete "how to" package.

I certainly will be using your information for my own bike when I get the chance. Winter is coming so free time may become available.

Thank you for that!

Gary
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:56:15 AM by GM Canada »

Offline truly_bent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 11:17:15 AM »
Very thorough.
A picture or two thrown in on something that detailed would help to clarify. But still, a very nice job.

My CA plugs directly into a Lyen controller, via a 7 conductor cable I think it is. The throttle also plugs directly into the controller. My understanding is that the throttle signal is routed through the CA, for filtering, before the speed control stage. I believe this has the same result as your work.

It's a good idea to allow the CA to filter the signal - parameters can be changed on the fly. I did find however that in limiting the top speed, there was too much hunting (oscillating) going on. The CA rep admitted that the PI loop (not PID loop) was difficult to stabilize. Without differentiation, which allows for quick response to input change, I wouldn't expect a control loop to keep up with the typical changing conditions on the road.

Your acronym list is a nice touch too. (We need a "thumbs up" smiley. Somebody?)

Jeff
Oh! And welcome. :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:31:53 AM by truly_bent »
Burley Canto recumbent w/ MP II, Lyen 18FET controller, 48V 20AH LiFeP04, Cycle Analyst, and 4 pounds of zip-ties

Offline Duck

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:58:17 PM »
So far I have been playing with the settings in the Cycle Analyst for the last couple of days and I have found a few settings that make the cruise control hunt significantly less...

First off, the CA is set up to operate from 0-5v for throttle out but for some reason if you set it to 0v it creates a wide open throttle (WOT) condition, so I was forced to set it to 1v. I suspect (can't confirm untill I get my multimeter back...) that the throttle opperates a full 0-5v. I will confirm this when I get my electrical tools back. I recently moved overseas and my tools havn't arrived yet :-(

The first setting I had to change was 'ITermMin'. My CA came set at 1v. This setting determines how low a voltage can go for trimming throttle. I set this to 0v and that helped to allow the CA to put out lower wattage levels to smooth out cruising.

The second thing I changed was 'PSGain'. PSGain is the Proportional Speed Gain. I am running a 48v LiFePO4 pack and found that with the higher voltages I needed to set this higher to change how much the CA will throttle back. I set this to 0.30 (default is 0.08). This allowed the CA to react more appropriately when throttling back.

The third thing I have changes and I am still working with is the IntSGain. The default IntSGain is supposed to be 200, but when I got mine it was set to 800. From my experience the higher the value the quicker the throttle back sets in and the lower the value the later it sets in. When I set this to 500+ I find that my bike will overshoot the desired speed quite often. Right now I have been testing different values between 150 and 200 and find this range to be the most acceptable. Right now it is set to 200.

With these specific settings I find the CA's performance fairly acceptable. Right now I currently live about 1.5 miles from where I work so my main reason for using the CA is so I can change the speed limit on the fly. When I commute to work I set speed limit to 40mph so that I can get there quickly as the distance is so short I disregard battery life all together. When I go on longer trips around 30+ miles I will set it to 12-15 mph for better battery life.

As far as the Cycle Analyst and my personal experience goes I have noticed a MAJOR annoyance with using it as a throttle interceptor. If you have your speed limit set and you go faster than approximatly 10% over the CA cuts all throttle to the controller untill you reach 80% of the desired speed. So, If I have it set to 12mph and go over 13.2mph the CA will not kick back in untill I drop to 10mph, and if you drop to 11mph you will not get any throttle response untill I drop to 10mph. This wouldn't be so bad except accelleration is the largest consumer of power. Also, for some reason the CA, when being used in as a throttle interceptor, has a 2-3 second throttle response delay that leads the rider into over accellerating in most cases as it is hard to judge throttle position with such a delayed response.

Untill they start making the CA with a faster signal processor I would HIGHLY recommend that if you have an external controller that you set the CA up as a throttle override instead of an interceptor. There is less wiring involved and the CA only kicks in if you exceed the limits and then pulls the throttle voltage down untill you meet the specified restrictions. When the CA is set up as an override the controller/motor will retain its quick response nature and still be limited. I have a Magic Pie III with an internal controller so I did not want to open the controller and set mine up this way right now because I don't have adequate tools untill the end of the month when they arrive. When I get my tools I will be setting the CA up as a override instead of an interceptor because the throttle lag is driving me nuts.

I would also recommend that if someone buys a MagicPie 3 that only wants to do a set speed limit all the time to just get the USB cable and set the speed limit in the MP III controller itself. Before I hooked up the Cycle Analyst and I was just using the built in cruise control I found that getting up to about 15mph and then hitting the cruise control button worked plenty well enough. One of the things that I did LOVE about the built in cruise control was that if you set it to a certain speed and turn cruise on and then peddal a bit that the internal controller was very smooth about backing off power as you exceeded the set cruise speed and then very smooth about reapplying power as you gradually dipped below. The margin of enguagement/disenguagement was very narrow and was quite good at keeping you at a certain speed. I liked this mode of opperation the best so far HONESTLY because it allowed me to peddal assist when I hear the motor working a bit too hard. You can not do this with the Cycle Analyst that is set up in Throttle Intercept mode as it confuses the crap out of the CA and then it wants you to slow way down before helping again.

So, right now I can only see the Cycle Analyst set up as a Throttle Interceptor usefull in applications where you do not peddal at all. Again, this is only because of the lack of throttle response and required slow down. I am hoping that when I change the configuration to just act as an override and then see how I like it. I have a feeling that it will be more acceptable at that point.

TLDR (Too long didn't read...)
If your country has speed limits, just use the USB cable and set it that way.
Get a Cycle Analyst because the data it gives you is great. don't use it in Throttle Intercept Mode, You wont be happy. If you have an external controller, use it in the Throttle Override Mode. If you have a MagicPie3 and don't want to open the controller just be happy with the built in cruise control, it works very well right out of the box.

@Gary

Thankyou for the acknowledgement! I am glad you found the information useful, and I hope you find this info helpful as well... Also, it rained on me during my ride home from work today so when the bike dries off I will crack open the CA and take pictures and whatnot.... And when I crack open the MP III controller at the end of this month, when I get my professional tools, to change the configuration to Override Mode I will be sure to take plenty of pictures :-)

I plan on repurposing a few wires in the main harness. My shifters are integrated into my brake levers, so I can not use the brake regen right now. I plan on unhooking the horn wires from the controller and connecting that in place of the brake regen connection and then using the brake regen wire to hook up the Throttle Override. This way I can use the horn button to get regen and still hook up the Throttle Override without having to run any extra wires or drill into my Magic Pie... I will just sacrifice one brake handle for the wire and prefab connector so everything will hook up nice and clean :-)  My only question is... would opening the controller or changing wire solder points void the warranty?

~Duck
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:12:59 PM by Master_Quack14 »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
So far I have been playing with the settings in the Cycle Analyst for the last couple of days and I have found a few settings that make the cruise control hunt significantly less...

First off, the CA is set up to operate from 0-5v for throttle out but for some reason if you set it to 0v it creates a wide open throttle (WOT) condition, so I was forced to set it to 1v. I suspect (can't confirm untill I get my multimeter back...) that the throttle opperates a full 0-5v. I will confirm this when I get my electrical tools back. I recently moved overseas and my tools havn't arrived yet :-(

Hi Duck, Sorry it took so long to get back here. I believe the Throttle runs from 1.25 volts to around 4 volts. Anything less and the controller thinks there is no throttle. Why yours is taking off at zero volts I don't quite understand.

my main reason for using the CA is so I can change the speed limit on the fly.

You may miss lead a few people with the "on the fly" comment. The CA settings can only be changed by holding down the right button at power up and going into the setup. I have my main ride set to street legal speeds with the USB cable and plan on using the CA to make the bike only go 15 or 20 kph max when riding in busy areas. I used to have a switch on one of my bikes to allow full speed or switch to Street legal Speed limited by the CA. This time I plan to use a switch to go from Street legal speeds controlled by the CA to bypassing the CA and run the bike at the limited setting I have already set on the motors. With this setup I could also use the USB to allow the motors to run full power for off road use or flip the switch for limited speed set by the CA. It all depends on what you have the setting of the CA and USB set at.

One of the things that I did LOVE about the built in cruise control was that if you set it to a certain speed and turn cruise on and then peddal a bit that the internal controller was very smooth about backing off power as you exceeded the set cruise speed and then very smooth about reapplying power as you gradually dipped below. The margin of enguagement/disenguagement was very narrow and was quite good at keeping you at a certain speed. I liked this mode of opperation the best so far HONESTLY because it allowed me to peddal assist when I hear the motor working a bit too hard.

I have to agree. When using the USB to limit the speed I find I can’t even tell the motor cutting back when hitting 32kph. I have to look at the CA to see when I hit the limit. I cannot feel it cut in and out at all.

TLDR (Too long didn't read...)
If your country has speed limits, just use the USB cable and set it that way.
Get a Cycle Analyst because the data it gives you is great. don't use it in Throttle Intercept Mode, You wont be happy. If you have an external controller, use it in the Throttle Override Mode. If you have a MagicPie3 and don't want to open the controller just be happy with the built in cruise control, it works very well right out of the box.

You can use the CA throttle over ride to limit the bike you do not have to open the motor. You can just interrupt the throttle signal in the wire coming from the throttle.

@Gary

Thankyou for the acknowledgement! I am glad you found the information useful, and I hope you find this info helpful as well... Also, it rained on me during my ride home from work today so when the bike dries off I will crack open the CA and take pictures and whatnot.... And when I crack open the MP III controller at the end of this month, when I get my professional tools, to change the configuration to Override Mode I will be sure to take plenty of pictures :-)

I plan on repurposing a few wires in the main harness. My shifters are integrated into my brake levers, so I can not use the brake regen right now. I plan on unhooking the horn wires from the controller and connecting that in place of the brake regen connection and then using the brake regen wire to hook up the Throttle Override. This way I can use the horn button to get regen and still hook up the Throttle Override without having to run any extra wires or drill into my Magic Pie... I will just sacrifice one brake handle for the wire and prefab connector so everything will hook up nice and clean :-)  My only question is... would opening the controller or changing wire solder points void the warranty?

~Duck

I think this would depend on who you bought your kit from and what communication you have before and after doing this. But as I posted above, I don't believe you have to open the motor to do the throttle override setup anyway.

Gary

Offline Duck

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 03:01:37 PM »
Hey Gary,

Just FYI, the new Cycle Analysts with the two buttons CAN be changed on the fly, I do it all the time.... All you do is hold the left button for about 3 seconds and it puts you right into the configuration menu...

~Duck

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
Yes I am aware of that. I have installed the CA3 on three of my bikes. Two of them have the CA3 WITH THUN sensor on them as well.  CA3 is awesome :)

Nice to hear from you again.

Gary

Offline Duck

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 10:02:34 PM »
Sorry I was gone for so long.. got deployed for a while.... Then I spent most of the spring enjoying my investment!!! I have put more miles on my ebike this year than I have my motorcycle... LOL!

Hey Gary, any word if GM will be making higher voltage motors anytime soon? like 72v or 96v*