Author Topic: MP II play?  (Read 4327 times)

Offline jbzg

• Confirmed
MP II play?
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »
Hey everyone,

after some begginers issues I have assembled MP II on my bike, and everything is working great.

However, lately I have noticed some movement in MP II, as shown as B or C movement in this post by Alan (thanks for this) http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=4226.0

I can't exactly state how large the movement is, but it is noticable. So before opening Pie, I just want to be sure this is worthwhile.

So is some movement tolerable? Or should I open the Pie, and try to fix the problem before some larges issues occur?

Best,
Jan

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP II play?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »

A small amount of movement is normal and quite acceptable, but if the amount of movement becomes large enough to allow components to touch within the motor, then it would need to be investigated.

If it's not making any unusual rubbing noises during use, it is probably better not to disturb it.

Alan

Offline jbzg

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »
Alan,

There is no unusual noice, just a regular zzzzz sound of Pie :)
However, if the movement gets any larger then this, I will need to go in adventure of Magic Pie opening.

Can the motor itself be damaged from this movement?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 04:59:08 PM »
Can the motor itself be damaged from this movement?

Sideways movement or "end float" (as indicated by C below) is unlikely to cause any damage to the motor.
My motors were all fitted with a wavy type of spring washer as standard to help reduce this particular type of movement.

Although it is usually possible to exert enough sideways force by hand to compress the spring washer and cause visible sideways movement of the hub, this is unlikely to happen on a conventional bike during normal use, but it may be more apparent on a non-leaning trike when cornering.

Excessive radial movement (as indicated by A above) could eventually allow the magnets to rub against the stator when a heavy downwards force is applied to the axle and would result in a very obvious metallic vibrating sort of noise, but I think it would have to rub quite hard before the magnets would suffer from more than just surface scratches.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:22:05 PM by Bikemad »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
The noise can come from a disk brake if you have them, as bad bearings can cause the disk brakes to misalign especially during acceleration ...

HI alan, by the way :)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline jbzg

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »
Thanks Alan,

I am not sure is it B or C movement, however it is not A for sure, and no unusal noise.

However, I would like to put on these spring washers, since I didn't get them. Please Alan can you tell me where do you fit them, inside or outside of the dropouts? Is regular spring washer good enough?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »

The spring washer should have already been fitted inside one of the motor covers during assembly at the factory, but I can't remember which side that mine was fitted on.

My internet access is somewhat limited at the moment so I am unable to search for the relevant post.

Alan

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
  The spring washer is on the inside of the side that does not have the cable coming out of it . I know because I had my motor apart 2 weeks ago 3 times trying to reverse the direction of the motor with no luck reversing the phase and hall sensors . If you need to open the motor to get to the internal controller ,it is on the side without the cable . Rod

Offline jbzg

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:31:08 PM »
Thanks for answers!

Jan