Author Topic: Magic Pie ll Hub Knocking  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Gilles1945

• Confirmed
Magic Pie ll Hub Knocking
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:47:56 AM »
I have a rear Magic Pie ll interior controller.  Since today I hear a knocking sound coming from the rear hub and when I run the free wheel without weight on there is no sound but as soon I run sit on the knocking comes back and this is without peddling.
I would like to have the repair manual to know how to open the motor,  check the bearing.
Your help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:10:09 AM by spellchecker »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie ll Hub Knocking
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »
but as soon I run sit on the knocking comes back and this is without peddling.

Is the knocking noise still there if you pedal the bike without using the throttle, or is it only there while the motor is running?

If the noise is only being made when the motor is under power, I suspect it could be movement of the stator and not the bearings.

Check out this post for some pictures showing how Magzy replaced his bearings on his external controller version of the MPII.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:39:26 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Gilles1945

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:57:37 PM »
Thanks bikeman for the quick reply.  The noise is still there even when pedaling or in throttle mode.
Do you have the spec for these bearing that way I would be able to buy locally it will be fix faster.
Thanks for the post I had try a search for it and never was able to locate.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie ll Bearing Details
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 03:32:28 PM »
I checked my MP today and this is the result:

MP part number is MP-1-270-10050059.

The bearing is a 6302RS; 42mm diameter, 15mm hole, 13mm width.

You might also find it listed as 6302-2RS or 6302RS because it has a rubber seal on each side.

The 6302-ZZ is basically the same bearing but with metal shields instead of the rubber seals.
These metal shielded bearings usually produce slightly less frictional drag than the rubber seal versions, but they will not prevent water from getting into the bearing when you wash off your wheel. ;)

Alan

P.S. I forgot to mention that this sized bearing is often used as a front wheel bearing on motorcycles too, so it might be worth seeing if your local motorbike shop keeps them in stock, but don't forget to check the prices first.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:47:10 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Gilles1945

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:55:31 PM »
Hi bikeman,
I have change the two bearings and gave it a test but still ear this ( CLICK CLICK ) I have check the magnet and all seem OK. These  CLICK CLICK come at every full wheel turn.
Today I run 50 KLM and sound still going.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 11:31:41 PM »

It sounds like it could be a loose spoke, check all your spokes and make sure that they are still nicely tensioned.
Give them a flick with your finger tip and see if they all make a similar note.

Tight spokes will produce a higher pitched note and loose spokes will produce a lower one.

Alan

Offline Gilles1945

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »
Thank bikeman,
I'll give that a tried and will post my answer next week because I'm living for camping

I love this forum, it's fast answer and excellent suggestion.

Offline Gilles1945

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 05:25:57 PM »
Back from week end and did a lots a biking thank to bikeman you were wright.  I check the spokes and some of them were loos. 
Thanks again you rock man!!!!