Author Topic: BLT Motor Dimensions  (Read 11071 times)

Offline truly_bent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
BLT Motor Dimensions
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
I'd like to do a bit of Solidworks design for a mid-drive setup, using the GM BLT motors. Not sure which of the three (500W, 650W, or 800W) i'd use yet, but i'd like to get some dimensions of the motors. The minimum I need are the mounting flange hole patterns, height of the shaft above baseline, and shaft diameter (which I think is 14mm), but obviously all of the dimensions would be useful.

I've checked goldenmotor.com and Gary's site for this info, but so far haven't found anything.

Thanks...
???
Burley Canto recumbent w/ MP II, Lyen 18FET controller, 48V 20AH LiFeP04, Cycle Analyst, and 4 pounds of zip-ties

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: BLT Motor Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »

I think you'll find that the dimensions are the same as these motors.

You have a choice of PDF, Solidworks EASM or DWG formats for each motor, but not all of them have dimensions. ::)
Hopefully you can work out the unmarked dimensions by using scale measurements from the drawings. ;)

I also suggest you have a good read of this topic over on ES.

Alan

Offline truly_bent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks Alan. That's great.
More info than I expected for sure.
:)
Burley Canto recumbent w/ MP II, Lyen 18FET controller, 48V 20AH LiFeP04, Cycle Analyst, and 4 pounds of zip-ties

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 02:34:10 AM »

Hope you find this usefull,

Gary

Offline truly_bent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »
Ah shucks, Gary.
I hope y'all had those pics on file and didn't just go out an' do all that for lil ol' me.
::)
But, many thanks if ya did...

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »
Ah shucks, Gary.
I hope y'all had those pics on file and didn't just go out an' do all that for lil ol' me.
::)
But, many thanks if ya did...

Crappy pictures at best. But I do think people can use them for rough estimating. When I saw your post I was within 6 feet of these motors so I decided to quickly shoot some pictures. Especially sine the 650w motor is not the size shown in the original GM pictures.

Gary

Offline truly_bent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »
Have created the BLT 800W motor assembly in SolidWorks.

The 10 tooth (420 chain) sprocket isn't the same as found on the real GM motor, since I don't quite follow how it's attached to the shaft. However, the gear tooth offset distance from the motor is correct, which is what's required for the design of the mid-drive assembly.

The mid-drive assembly itself is coming along nicely. I'll start a new thread when it's a little further along.
8)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:46:09 PM by truly_bent »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 02:14:29 AM »

Looking at Gary's photos, the sprocket on the BLT 650W and 800W appears to be held in place with a nyloc nut on the threaded end potion of the motor shaft.

I would assume that the sprocket is keyed onto a parallel section of the shaft just in from the threaded portion.

The BLT 500W appears to use a bolt screwed into a threaded hole inside the end of the motor shaft to retain the sprocket.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »
Nice Drawings! I'd like to use those on my site!

Another thing that should be mentioned is the 650w motor is the same size as the 800w motor. The GM Stock photo of all three motors is deceiving and frustrating for those that order the 650w for the size.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 06:21:14 PM by GM Canada »