Author Topic: Introduction and MPIII problem  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Vince

• Confirmed
Introduction and MPIII problem
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:24:49 AM »
  Hi everyone.

I'm not sure if this is the right way to post for the first time but I'll try.

First of all, thank you for the invaluable information that is available on this forum.

I've recently bought a e-bike with MPIII mounted on it. The battery is Li-ion 48V 14Ah. It is only controlled by thumb throttle. Cruise control, PAS, brakes or anything else isn't mounted. I've only been able to ride around 7Km on it. Not all of the way running on the motor. And when running on it, I was also helping with the pedals most of the time. After the ride, I came back to the garage with throttle LEDs indicating full charge.

The next time I tried to use the bike, I switched on the battery and LEDs indicated full charge. But the throttle didn't cause any reaction on the motor. I tried to push full throttle several times without any response, not a single noise from the MPIII. I checked all the cable connections, battery fuse, tried to connect cruise control and brake handles to the front HUB. I had the cruise control red button pushed for a few seconds to see if the half throttle function activated without any success. Is this half throttle on the cruise control specific of the MPII? or is it also available on MPIII?

I'll receive a new throttle from the vendor today. Do you think a faulty throttle could be the cause of the failure?

Best regards and thanks in advance.

Offline Vince

• Confirmed
Re: Introduction and MPIII problem
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:46:18 PM »
I've replaced the throttle but it wasn't the problem.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »
Hi Vince andto the forum.

Unfortunately, the MPIII controllers don't have the brake or throttle failure bypass mode so the half throttle function will not work.

As the new throttle hasn't cured the problem, it could be either a faulty wiring harness or the controller itself. :(

You can perform a simple test which will bypass the control harness, brake switches, throttle and cruise controls and simply checks the motor, controller and battery circuit by disconnecting the main control harness and then bridging two throttle contacts with a piece of small diameter wire, I used a reshaped paper clip as indicated here:

Don't force the wire into the sockets as this can open the contacts up, resulting in a poor contact with the pins when the the main harness plug is refitted, you only need to touch it against the two contacts to hopefully make the throttle run at full speed, confirming that the motor, controller and battery are all OK.

To avoid accidentally shorting out the wrong sockets, and causing possible damage, you can place a piece of masking tape (or similar) over the other sockets to ensure the wire does not accidentally enter the wrong socket.

As it states on the diagram, make sure the bike is secure with the wheel raised off the ground before you insert the wire and keep hands and loose wires etc. safely away from the wheel and tyre!

Please note:
The power must be turned on before the wire is inserted into the correct sockets or the motor will not run!

If it doesn't run during the above test, I would say the controller or motor harness is faulty and will need to be replaced. :(

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:34:22 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Vince

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »
  Thanks Alan for the welcome and great advice.

After trying with a new throttle, I took the bike to the vendor and they replaced the controller. One resistor was burned. I don't know the reason.

Kind regards