Author Topic: Simple safe way to disconnect one motor on a dual drive bike  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Simple safe way to disconnect one motor on a dual drive bike
« on: August 12, 2011, 06:56:55 AM »
Simply, I need more exercise-Apparently ::)      I want to (on a temporary basis) disconnect one of the GM mini motors running off one battery pack on my dual motored bike. Can I just unplug the controller connections to one motor?  I want to avoid any rewiring/soldering, as it is only for times when I'm feeling more energetic.

Andrew :)

P.s  Obviously, adjustments to power going to just one motor will have to be made.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Simple safe way to disconnect one motor on a dual drive bike
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 12:26:26 PM »
Hi Andrew, as you are using minimotors, it should be OK to do it that way, but make sure you don't disconnect the controller that's providing the +5V throttle supply. ;)

If you were using dual Pies, I would suggest putting a switch on the throttle signal wire going to one of the controllers (not the main throttle lead as shown in the immobiliser circuit below) to disable the throttle, but still allow regenerative braking from both motors.
A 12K resistor should be fitted between the +5V and the throttle signal to prevent the disabled controller from activating throttle failure mode.

An alternative method would be to fit a DPDT switch as shown below to enable either or both motors to be selected as required.

I hope you're not too confused now. :D

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:33:01 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Simple safe way to disconnect one motor on a dual drive bike
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:55:14 PM »
Thanks Alan,   pulling the plug out will work fine for me, though I do like the DPDT switch idea, Switching from front to rear to dual drive, cool!  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:22:55 PM by spellchecker »