Author Topic: Magic Pie delta wye  (Read 32801 times)

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: Magic Pie delta wye
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 07:49:38 PM »
hows that relevant to the question ?
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline LOLO

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • greenlocation.fr
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 08:26:40 PM »
short but explicite vidéo..!

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 10:18:04 PM »
What does this have to do with a Magic Pie? Wouldn't this be  better suited over as ES

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 10:58:08 PM »
What does this have to do with a Magic Pie? Wouldn't this be  better suited over as ES

Gary

That's what I'm sayin...

Yes can we please keep this topic to Magic Pie mod only hence the topic name. There is a ton of wiring, winding switching videos everywhere geeez

I'd be very surprised if anyone can route the wires through the axle slot!

:D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 03:00:22 AM »
The best way to do Delta/Star switching on a Magic Pie would be to use three heavy duty relays mounted inside the hub and use a single small diameter wire (fed through the axle) to activate the relays as shown here:

The three 40Amp 12Volt crossover relays (SPDT) are wired in series to allow direct connection to either a 36V battery, or a 48V battery when fitted with an additional resistor.

There should be plenty of room inside the Pie to accommodate the relays and all of the associated wiring.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:53:06 PM by Bikemad »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 08:29:50 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5zCOl6Bpo

Fair go mate, probably best if you change the title on that video. Gary has said on a number of occasions he is not the most technically minded (humble guy!), so how you believe he;[personally] built your products is beyond me...Fair go.

It also had absolutely nothing to do with the topic, again. So thanks Alan for posting something on the ball - what do you think about 6 x SPST relays (60A) or will it have to handle transient currents beyond this (with ~1.8 factor)

Another on topic thought is using an AND/NAND gate circuit with pull ups/downs through either the PAS wire for the relay signal - or on a switch with the RX/reverse wire that you switch should/when you want to change parameters.

Also if you made the MP external then a single wire from the axle could be used for a FSK or similar transmitter antenna for wireless or use the single wire for TTL serial linked to a microcontroller. Thats what I came up with but I need to better educate myself on coding interrupts... I need a time machine or a time stopper lol I'm too busy.

I would love to see a setup using the internal controller (with cap & FET changes, or maybe set very low?) with this in action. My dual drive is too precious to risk!

I'm off now because the Breville toaster I bought from Walmart is no good, so the guy at the cash register is gunna cop it!!!! (??)

;) peace out

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 03:21:23 AM »
Oh god, Karma again. Lets take this to ES where it would be more on topic. Anyone want to follow Ill se you there.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=236&p=379700#p379700

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Relays
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 03:22:32 AM »
What do you think about 6 x SPST relays (60A) or will it have to handle transient currents beyond this (with ~1.8 factor)

If a controller is limited to 40Amps max, I'm assuming this should be the maximum continuous current it can supply, regardless of the winding resistance or battery voltage. If the relay activation switch also cut the power to the throttle momentarily each time it was switched on or off, it would greatly reduce the switching load on the relay contacts.

I'm guessing that you're thinking of using those 60A latching relays for this, and if so, I would not recommend them for this particular application. Using three pairs of single throw relays could allow two (or possibly all three) of the phase wires to become completely short circuited if all three pairs of relays were somehow energised at the same time, or if any of the contacts were to arc themselves together whilst switching the relays with the motor under heavy load.

This shorting of the phase wires simply could not happen using double throw relays, because it's physically impossible for the moving contact to connect with both of the alternately switched contacts simultaneously.

Alan

Offline Gapy

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »
Hello!

So I tried the delta configuration on MagicPie with internal controller....
Basicly I used the diagram from Bikemad, just without relays, so it is permanent delta mode!

Went for a ride, but controller allways kicks out... (not if I ride up to 25 km/h with slow accelerations) I don't even get the 600W (1700W max on star mode) on CA and max ampage was 10-12 A,(20-25A in star mode) don't know why is that!! :-\ Just need to turn off for a second and I can go again...

Also it is much louder  :o

Here is a link to youtube (you might turn the volume down on your speakers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBmmXoONXzk

Mybe I should try this with Infineon 12fet Lyens edition?!?

Gašper
Rear GoldenMotor Magic Pie
External Infineon 12fet Lyen edition
48V 20Ah LiFePo4
top speed: 48.6km/h
range: 55km at full speed

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 10:34:42 PM »

Thanks for posting the results of your Delta testing Gašper, but it's disappointing that the internal controller is unable to cope with the lower resistance of the Delta windings.

Perhaps it would be improved with an external controller due to the slightly increased resistance of the longer phase leads.

As the controller cuts out at such a low current, I guess there is not going to be enough power to achieve a higher top speed than you had before, unless you're going downhill.

Alan

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »
Hi there

Do you have any photos as to how this is achieeved, internally

i know I sound dumb, but with 3 kidss, by the time I hit the forum, im innebriated, so different grounding of the phases just passes me by

with a different controller,m this may be just anout right, with the 1.7  multiplication of speed
r
regards

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 01:54:01 AM »
Hi there

Do you have any photos as to how this is achieeved, internally

i know I sound dumb, but with 3 kidss, by the time I hit the forum, im innebriated, so different grounding of the phases just passes me by

with a different controller,m this may be just anout right, with the 1.7  multiplication of speed
r
regards

Lol, nice typos! Cheers!

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 02:51:33 AM »
Gapy well done!@!@ wooo someone with a motive :)

Oh yeah and I dug up this picture of Ginge I found :) hehe

Offline Gapy

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 07:13:55 AM »
Ok, anyone interested-here is the procedure....

1. Open the cover on the side where wires comes out (plenty of post on how to do that)
2. Locate where the three phase wires are connected (in star mode) and dissconnect them
3. You have to find wich wire is the end of wich phase -that can be done simply with ohm meter
4. Before soldering of extension wires (15 cm) I have to sand the of the varnish othevise solder wont stick up  (pic.1)
5. Soldering. Make shure you have enough solder on the wires-bad connection may leed to unwanted side effects   (pic.2)
6. Try to fix the 3 whires on the stator to ensure they will not came in contact with the cover and push them on the other side (pic.3)
7. If you are sure you did a good job you can now close this side and open the cover on the other side....
8. Once again measure the wires for color and solder them in delta mode

yellow to green
                                             green to blue
                                             blue to yellow

9.Fix the wires on the stator (I fixed them to controller) (pic.4)
10. Close the cover, connect everything as it was and you are good to go (until controller kicks out ;D)

Rear GoldenMotor Magic Pie
External Infineon 12fet Lyen edition
48V 20Ah LiFePo4
top speed: 48.6km/h
range: 55km at full speed

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 07:32:24 AM »
Strangely, when I typed that last night, I wasnt drunk lol...i was covered in children and trying to cook dinner...

So there is how you avoid typo's.....drink more !!1

Gapy, many many thanks for the post, most excellent...seeing as my infineon is external, might try and change it later, will only take a few seconds, but colours are different, so ill have to figure it out, how do you check with the multimeter... ???sorry to be so dumb but clearly I need to be more educated

No changes to the hall sensors required ???