Author Topic: NewB here. Some info on GM 500w rear motor + Foxpower 10AH Lifepo4  (Read 59185 times)

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
     Well thought I should post a few pics and some info on my bike build with the Golden motor rear hub and Foxx Power 36V 10AH lifePO4 battery.  Spent a couple of months researching the electric bike idea including reading all the posts here and elsewhere that I could find on the subject finally deciding on the Golden Rear hub motor.  Rear hub because the bike has an aluminum frame with front suspension and thought I was going to mount the battery in the frame.

Guess I will start with the motor kit it’s a 500 watt kit with the upgraded Regen controller ordered it here   http://www.goldenmotor.com/   $396
Although communication by e-mail was a bit slow now and then it did happen and the motor arrived promptly after payment.

Packing was a bit weak and both sides of the axle including the wires were punched through the Styrofoam and single layer box and sticking out. The box was beat up pretty good but I found the contents to be in good shape and complete although there was no documentation of any kind. The upgraded controller was not included in the original package but arrived separately a couple days later again with no documentation.

The rim installed on the hub had spokes tightened in some hap-hazard way.  Some spokes were extremely tight others were very loose so I went to work on truing up the wheel. After about an hour I realized this was a waste of time as, although the side to side wobble was easy enough to deal with, the rim had a large flat spot covering several spokes in length rendering the wheel pretty much useless as far as I was concerned.  I informed Golden motors of the problem with the wheel but thanked them for the kit just the same.  I later asked for a few spoke nipples as they were messed up when the wheel arrived.  I never received a reply from Golden Motors for any of my e-mails once the kit and controller had arrived.

I took the wheel to the local bike shop and asked for a strong double walled rim to be installed on the hub. Picked up the hub with the new wheel a few days later $77.  It looked great so had them build me a front to match it with some 12 gauge spokes and a decent hub to the tune of $90.

When the hub axle nuts were spun up to the frame, for the first time, I noticed some kind of wobble in them.  The thread line to the face of the bolt was not 90 degrees. They would not lay flat on the bike no matter how tight they were so were replaced with an aircraft/ny-lock type nut from the local hardware shop. Now things sat square against the frame and would not work loose in the near future.

Replacing the left nut was quite involved. It was necessary to remove the pins/terminals from the plugs, most pins in plugs have a release pin that can be bent up with a very small screwdriver to release them, from the wiring plug (see red circles on above linked pic).  I  used colored sharpie pmarkers to mark their orientation before removal.  I could then route the wires through the new nut and into a battery box I had picked up. Upon removal of the terminals from the hall sensor plug I noticed that all of the wires had been carefully soldered in place(see yellow circle in above linked pic).  Even though I would likely have crimped them first then soldered I was impressed by someone’s attention to this important detail.  I cut off the hub wheel power wire female bullet connectors, large gauge yellow, blue and green wires.  Then removed the connector from same wires on the stock controller I received with the kit as it was a direct plug in to the wheel connector plug. Next I crimped and soldered the correct spades on the three wires and pushed them into the plug removed from the original controller listening for that all important click as they locked into place. Now I could plug the regen controller wires directly into the stock wheel hub, inside my new battery box, and have matching connectors that would lock together.

Once the wheel kit had arrived I contacted Foxpower here http://www.atenenergy.biz/Foxx%20Specs.htm  Now on E-bay also to purchase one of their 36V battery packs.  I received no confirmation on my payment or order and a week later I e-mailed them about this and received my first reply in another week stating they would ship the battery out tomorrow.  A week after that I contacted them again as I had been told I would receive a shipping conformation and tracking number. This time they replied promptly and said they would ship it out the same day. The battery arrived a few days afterwards in a beat up box with no documentation of any kind. Contents were undamaged but packing once again could have been better.  I e-mailed them about the documentation and the reply was prompt with a very helpful link to the information I requested on the net.

With the wheel installed the battery and controller tucked neatly into the modified tool box it was time for a test ride.  I plugged the battery connecter into the Regen connecter there was a flash and pop inside the connecter.  Scared me at first but found it to be a normal part of the plug in procedure every time. First ride was 16+ mile round trip on varied terrain with several fairly steep but short hills and lots of very gradual ups and downs with a several hour stop in the middle.  To say I was impressed would be an understatement. I managed just over sixteen miles total on my first charge and still had a measured voltage of 36.1 before I recharged. The regen took a bit of getting used to as whenever the throttle is released it kicks in hard to slow you down to less than a crawl and it is difficult to pedal against.  I have since hooked up a switch so I can change back and forth from Regen to coast mode when I wish although a complete stop seems to be necessary to change from one mode to the other. This is a shame as I was planning just to run the Regen as an electric brake with a momentary switch. Just a note to remind those of you installing these types of hubs watch the spoke tension closely I tightened mine ¼ turn at 8,12, 25 and again at 50 miles.  Not doing so could result in major damage to the rim and or your body if you crash cuz of it.

I now have 200+ miles on the bike with no problems and fairly consistant trip lengths so says my computer.  I have killed the battery a couple of times with a measured voltage in some cells of near 2.8V. I have also added a 12V 20 amp fuse and a 12V 30 amp switch at the battery.  These two mods have worked out well causing no problems. Did I mention fun? ;^)
In summing things up both Golden Motors and Foxpower delivered a decent product for a good price.  Would I do it again? Well unless I can find a better product for a better price I will continue with these companies as I know they will eventually get me what I order and with a bit of werq things will be great.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:40:29 AM by biohazardman »

Offline philf

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: NewB here. Some info on GM 500w rear motor + Foxpower 10AH Lifepo4
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:57:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing that...

I'm just wondering a couple of things, though...

Where in the world are you?  I've installed three kits so far (all of which I ordered from a Canadian importer), and all of them simply had "www.goldenmotor.com" etched into the clear aluminum around the spoke flange.  None of the Chinese print in the black painted surfaces we see here.

Seeing the picture you posted of the final result, I had a sense of deja vu.  Then the penny dropped...  "I've seen that bike before, and recently", I said... 

Yup, a quick visit to "www.goldenmotor.com", and there it is on the top of the opening page.  How'd that happen?  Or did they just take some license and go ahead and grab it from photobucket without your permission?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 10:59:06 AM by philf »

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 05:42:23 AM »
  I really had no idea what you were talking about till I clicked the GM link you posted.  Yup looks like they used my Pic so now I'm famous or is that infamous?  They didn't say anything to me about it but about a week ago I did send them that pic in an e-mail with the positive things about the purchase as well as a list of things that could be better. They did use my first name in naming the pic anyway.  Not a problem as far as I'm concerned. I'm in the US Portland, Oregon to be exact.  This is my first purchase of a GM motor it came to me that color as you see in the other pics.  The printing you speak of is actually a part of the casting that is raised and is not painted so aluminum colored. Looks cool but I have no idea what it says as yet. A bit dirty from the miles it seems.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/biohazardman/bike1/hubletters.jpg

Offline nitecheck

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 11:12:49 AM »
Hi - Bio.

Nice kit out. I'm currently building a "stealth" e-bike with the front hub version of the GM 500w motor. I like to keep the controller cool (the Oz summer is very hot - generally - but with climate change a foot - who know's which way things will go). As I am running in stealth mode the bike will resemble a standard bike. I do have a question regarding heat - does you controller (I have the same) get hot being enclosed in the case? I'm using a rear bag rather than a box & for the above reasons mounting the controller in the open is really not an option - I might have to look at running an external vent (mini scoop) to get air flow across the heat sink - if does get hot.

Thanks
CRX 2008 Grey Stealth Nine Continent Av Speed 29kms/h.
XC GM kit Grey Stealth 2 - fully racked. (still in testing mode)
Other - VFR800i, Racer 8500 Lear Sport & my "evil one" 2 stroke powered MTB (soon to be sold). Great fun but need the funds to for the XC project.

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:26:39 PM »
I thought that I might need to vent the controller also but have checked it many times it barely even gets warm.  Temps thusfar have only reached the 70s though so time will tell.  I will post on this again when it gets warmer.

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 06:55:18 AM »
More info as promised on the GM 500w with Foxpower 10ah Lifepo4 battery and Regen controller.  I have near 500 miles on it now and have grown to love the regen for it's near perfect control of speed.   It slows you down a little if you let off the throttle a little but allot when you let off all the way.  Steep hills with stop signs at the bottom are not a problem and I seldom use the caliper brakes except in very low speed stops or to keep from rolling at lights. Tried it out in the mid 90 degree weather today the controller temp hit 106 degrees measured in the unvented metal box for a short two mile trip on level ground.  It hit 115-120 max deg F, warmer to the touch than the measured 106`F but not uncomfortable to touch at the end of a steep 100 yard hill with near stall speeds at the top after an 8 mile trip at max speed, most of the way, to warm it up.  So I will likely leave the battery/controller box as it is and not worry about venting as that’s about as hot as it normally gets around here. Only fault I see is that it is a bit slow to respond at power up and from a stop. It takes three or four seconds before the throttle will respond from a power up situation and a couple to get going from a stop.
The motor itself is not a hill climber but still pulls even at near stall speeds and never heats up. The battery norm is 18 to 20 miles per charge and that includes some short 100 yard to quarter mile fairly steep hills which I pedal up.  The kind I would not attempt, only avid cyclists do, were it not for the motor. This also includes me working the pedals a short distance to accelerate from stops and make it look like I am pedaling to other cyclists now and then. ;^)  In other words I try to look healthy even though I am old and have a beat up body and am not in to good of shape as my name hints.  The BCO charger has werqed well thus far and charged the batteries to within a tenth of a volt in most cases then shut down to a trickle as needed afterwards as advertised. It takes four to five hours to charge a very depleted battery.
   After tightening the spokes four times it seems as though they are not going to stretch anymore. I was beginning to wonder.  The heavy, wide double walled rims are keeping their shape despite more than a few nasty bumps and holes taken at higher speed than I would have liked. The  Bontrager Hardcase tires have been through more glass, road debris and potholes than I would like to admit. I did pick up a half inch long nail and so had one flat thus far but it waited till I got to the front door to go flat. 
So all and all everything has met or actually surpassed my expectations with the exception of getting the parts together and with all the therapy I had cuz of that I am a better person now?  ;^) Hope this is helpful to some as many of the prior posts here were to me.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:21:17 PM by biohazardman »

Offline Grunchy

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:51:32 AM »
Have you considered Green Tyre puncture-proof tires?  www.greentyre.com

I bought a set for my road bike & do really appreciate the peace-of-mind.  It isn't an e-bike yet but I (used to) do long commutes on it on fairly narrow roads and did not want a puncture, ever.  The ride is a little harsher especially with the thinner size 700 wheels, and rolling resistance is not quite as good, but that shouldn't make much difference with motor drive helping out.

If/when I motorize my bike I'm certain to put a set of green tyres on it!

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 08:06:36 AM »
That is a good thought considering all the glass and road debris where I ride most.  If I have to much trouble in the way of flats I will check into it further.  Thus far though only the one flat though so I am impressed with what I have for the moment.  Thanks for the link I will keep it in case it is needed as I hate to be patching tires on any regular basis..

Offline JinbaIttai

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 01:44:50 AM »
Nice looking build, I hope mine ends up looking as clean and stealthy as yours.
How is the weight balance with the rear hub and the batteries over the back tire?
Have you done any trips to compare regen-braking versus none?

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 03:53:32 AM »
Thanks.  I do not notice the weight in the back at all except when mounting or dismounting. Even balancing at traffic lights I seldom notice unless I get over to one side to far and then it's all I can do to keep the bike from going down.  I have not done any full battery tests without the regen.  The regen is way good at slowing me down and a confidence builder for getting around in town as I do not have disc brakes and it rains here allot.  Next build will have disc brakes so will try it without the regen then.

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »
Nice looking build, I hope mine ends up looking as clean and stealthy as yours.
How is the weight balance with the rear hub and the batteries over the back tire?
Have you done any trips to compare regen-braking versus none?

Just to chime in with biohazardman on the weight issue; I have my bike set up similarly to his, with the rear hub motor and batteries & controller in a bag on top of the rear rack. Like biohazardman, I notice the weight when mounting & dismounting, and also in out-of-the-saddle riding, which is pretty much not an option with that much weight that high over the bike's center of gravity. I tried it going up a hill once, and that was more than enough to keep me from doing it again!  :o

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 08:19:52 PM »
I only have 13lbs of weight on the rack and then the motor.  Expect you have more?  No problems in and out of the saddle riding up hills until I am pretty much near stopped.  If I I'm not at the top by then I might have to bail, as I have an injured arm and could not catch the bike without further injury, and that could pose a problem for sure. Has not happened to me yet but have one hill that I barely make it up.  Sometimes when if I feel I'm not up to it I bypass said hill and take a different/longer route.

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 08:44:45 PM »

Bought a 48 Volt Regen controller from Golden Motors arrived in about a week instead of a month like the kit. It was very well packaged.   Good thing to cuz the box was pretty beat up.  Also e-mailed Philip about the changes that are needed to make the system run on the 48v. Reply came in about 24hrs he said controller and battery are all that is needed to run 48v.  I am not sure of the difference in the motors as he offers a 36 and 48v on the GM site should have asked about that also.
  Another 100+ miles on the kit and Lifepo4 battery and no problems with the exception of loose Ny-lock axle nuts.  Got a torq bar off of e-bay will install it with the 48 volt controller as soon as I get more batts.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 07:09:45 AM by biohazardman »

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 01:03:16 AM »
biohazardman,

What would you say your top speed is with the 36V regen controller? I have read that it impairs the top end slightly. Do you think the regen controller is adding much to your range? I'm sure it varies with use.

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 05:57:39 AM »
Top speed is 20mph + or - 2mph for road and wind conditions.  I never installed the stock controller so don't know what it might have been otherwise but likely it is limited to near 20mph at 36v also.  I turned off the Regen for awhile but like the braking it provides as I don't have disk brakes so it went back on.  Don't have a bicycle computer so don't know what I actually get back from using it.  I would not expect allot of return with the kind of biking I usually do.