Author Topic: Who cassette will fit my MagicPie?  (Read 8356 times)

Offline Milhouse

• Confirmed
Who cassette will fit my MagicPie?
« on: October 21, 2010, 12:27:19 AM »
Hello, my MagicPie come without any cassette (i did not think about that). So my question are, who cassette will fit my magicpie motor? I'm a noob in those thing, and have try'd for 2 hours to google and look at this forum. But I can't find any modelnumber or anything who tells me what kind of cassettes who fits.... i'm thinking about bye a Shimano cassette in a local store, at home @ Norway.

Will this one feet? on my bike? http://www.bikeshop.no/aspx/produkt/prdinfovnet.aspx?plid=6704

Do I need any tools? How do I montage?

If someone can plz give me a link.... and say to me: YOU NEED THIS! .... that would be great. (from a norwegian store.... bikeshop.no are fine, just use Google Translate,,)

tnx!  :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Freewheel for a Magic Pie
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 01:49:48 AM »
Milhouse, the link you have posted is for a splined cassette, which is not suitable for a Magic Pie. GM recommend a 6 speed thread-on gear cluster known as a "freewheel" which simply screws on to the Magic Pie's threaded boss.

The special tool is only needed to remove the freewheel (when it fails and needs to be replaced).

I couldn't find anything suitable on bikeshop.no, but I found this Shimano MFTZ06 6 speed screw-on freewheel on woollyhatshop.com which should fit the Magic Pie.

The 7 speed freewheel can be fitted if you use an extra spacer washer on the axle, but the 34 tooth 1st gear can be a bit too large for some dérailleurs to cope with. ;)

The following picture shows a 7 speed freewheel unit being screwed onto the hub:

Hope this helps.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:01:17 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
Re: Who cassette will fit my MagicPie?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 06:51:51 AM »
This is what you’re looking for, and in Norway.

Frikrans-gjenget

This is the tool you need to dismantle it.
Tannkransavtaker

Peter

edit:
Please note what Alan wrote about the 7 speed freewheel.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:55:35 AM by Sundsvall »
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:10:04 AM »
Heh, Peter beat me to those links... ;)
I'm using that 7 speed freewheel (from precisely that store), but had to adjust (by force) my rear fork to avoid having the tire touch the fork. But I have the older 750W motor (not MP).

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Freewheel for a Magic Pie
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:08:59 PM »
Please note what Alan wrote about the 7 speed freewheel.

Peter, the Shimano MF-HG37 7 Speed freewheel that you have found only has a 28 tooth 1st gear, so there should not be a problem with the dérailleur, but it still may need an additional washer on the axle to space it further from the frame:

Most removal tools usually have a 10mm diameter hole through the middle to fit over a standard axle:

The Magic Pie requires the hole to be at least 14mm to fit over the larger axle:

Gary (GM Canada) sells these if you can't find one locally.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:00:15 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 08:49:45 PM »
It was the spacer washer I was uncertain of as I only have fitted one gear sprocket on my MP. The size of the hole in the removal tool was totally overlooked by me so now you’ve probably even saved me from a future wrong buying.

Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Freewheel removal tool
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 02:23:01 AM »

The size of the hole in the removal tool was totally overlooked by me so now you’ve probably even saved me from a future wrong buying.

I only discovered this when I went to use it, I ended up enlarging the hole in the centre of my standard removal tool with a grinder so I could unscrew the freewheel when I transferred my Pie to another bike that couldn't cope with a 34 tooth 1st gear.

Alan