Author Topic: MP Reverse  (Read 26298 times)

Offline mantares

MP Reverse
« on: May 17, 2010, 12:10:15 AM »
I am installing two MPs on a three wheel cart. Although not absolutely necessary, it would be helpful if I could reverse the motor direction. Is this possible by reversing the motor polarity or will this damage the motor?

UPDATE:
On later Magic Pies, the Blue and Yellow Phase wires and the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires need to be swapped to reverse the motor's default direction.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:49:38 AM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: MP Reverse
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:22:59 AM »
Do not reverse the battery polarity! You will burn the controller!

Magic Pie does not have the reverse option as you do not have the reverse button wire to use.

Offline mantares

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:38:47 AM »
Thanks, I suspected as much!

Offline dirk pitt

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 07:14:14 AM »
I have 4 MP with the reverse function. So it is possible.
it seems It is possible to activate the function in the software.

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 08:35:32 AM »
Humm I was not able to get it working on my pie. Not that I need it :)

Offline dirk pitt

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:43:53 AM »
as I was unable to connect the software yet, so I cannot garanty you can enable or disable the reverse through the soft. the MPs I have have been ordered with the reverse function so they arrived already with the correct parameters.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 03:40:58 PM »
I am installing two MPs on a three wheel cart. Although not absolutely necessary, it would be helpful if I could reverse the motor direction. Is this possible by reversing the motor polarity or will this damage the motor?

Yes it is possible to reverse the motor phase wires, I think you swap the the outside phase wires, but you can not reverse the black and red wires that lead to the motor you will blow your caps up or worse.

Thje difference is the phase wires are inside the motor and the red an black wire are the battery to the motor/controller wires you cant change these motor power wires.

Bring it on

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 02:52:57 PM »
I don't think the reverse function is available on all Magic Pies without a bit of modification, as the terminal on the controller (which is usually grounded to select reverse) is not connected to anything and cannot therefore be accessed for switching.

I haven't tried it, but connecting the Reverse connection to ground (0V) on the controller should select reverse, assuming it's still enabled on the Pie's controller.
With the early Pies, the Yellow wire is not connected inside the hub and it may be possible to use this wire for switching reverse by connecting it to the reverse terminal on the controller (marked "d") inside the hub, and to a switch at the other end. But if reverse is not enabled by default, this still may not work.

Although the software for use with later controllers gives an option to enable and adjust the speed in reverse, this will only be of any use with the external cruise controller, where a reverse switch can be easily connected to it.

Check out this link containing suggestions for removing the cover: http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2103.msg10472#msg10472

If permanent reverse rotation is required, it should be possible to achieve this by swapping the green and yellow phase wires over (and the green and yellow hall sensor wires as well) where they are soldered onto the controller board.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 01:49:31 AM by Bikemad »

Offline dirk pitt

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 06:40:47 AM »
I do not understand your answer Bikemad?
On the 4 pies I have, the reverse function IS working and is activated by the REVERSE button situated on the thumb throttle case. the wire connected to this button is shorting the R terminal to ground
on the following picture, this is the yellow wire on the 12 pins terminal.
the functions of the different wires on this terminal for my pie are as follow:
Blue on B: brakes switches
Yellow on R: Reverse
Grey on T2: Throttle signal
red on T1: +5V
green on C: Cruise control
black on Z: 0V
Purple on G: communication port

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »
I do not understand your answer Bikemad?
On the 4 pies I have, the reverse function IS working and is activated by the REVERSE button situated on the thumb throttle case. the wire connected to this button is shorting the R terminal to ground

On the early Pies (like mine) the yellow lead is not connected to the controller:

On the later Pies, the yellow lead is used for data transfer when using the USB interface lead:

Presumably, some of the Pies (like yours) have the yellow lead pre-wired for reverse:

Alan

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:50:37 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Yellow lead
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 12:13:13 PM »
Hi my USB cable works without yellow cable connected...

Rodge, is your yellow lead not connected at the controller end or just at the harness end?

Alan

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 03:24:05 PM »
Both. I had to open the hub casing and no it wasn't hooked up.

I have only noticed change with regen adjustment, so not sure if that's any difference.

Cheers

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »
So does this usb lead work with all the pie's then? I wish gm could come out with all the facts I am getting fed-up with playing miss Marple.I would be happy enough to buy a lead if I knew it would work with my pie.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:17:51 PM by gf3 »

Offline windego

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »
Hey GF3
I am like you and would biuy that cable in a heartbeat if it would or could work with a little mod.

Stan

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 12:25:15 PM »
Both. I had to open the hub casing and no it wasn't hooked up.

I have only noticed change with regen adjustment, so not sure if that's any difference.

Cheers

^^^ Ohh!! Have no clue what I was thinking that night... Too much pie I think !

YES My YELLOW cable is connected!! See attached pic of my open hub. For some strange reason I was thinking REVERSE hahaahha I had my wires crossed in the picture in my head lol.

So sorry BikeMad you owe me a big slap with a sloppy trout for that!

I am pretty sure this only works with post-March MP's ( as it works with my friends wheel we bought at the same time (In March) so if you got yours after March you should be okay  ;D