Author Topic: different speed throttles for different voltages ???  (Read 8671 times)

Offline Wolga

• Confirmed
different speed throttles for different voltages ???
« on: April 05, 2010, 10:51:42 AM »
I have found on
http://www.devi-motion.com/
who is a GM-distributer different speed throttles for different voltages (24V, 36V, 48V), is this correct that there are differences between them ?
What is the effect if I use the throttle for a voltage which it is not built for ?
And how can I find out for what voltage my speed-throttle is built, I bought this originally from GM without battery, so they couldn't know what voltage I will use.

Thanks a lot
Wolfgang
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:34:17 AM by wolga »

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: different speed throttles for different voltages ???
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:40:45 AM »
The voltage is only for the battery led gauge to tell you how full middle or empty the battery is. If you have a 36v battery and a 48v throttle it will show that the battery is empty. Because of the low voltage. And a 24v throttle will probably burn when used with 48v so my best guess is that you have a 48v throttle just in case.
If you don't need the led to show you how the battery is then don't use them and you'll be fine

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:15:50 PM »
Would be nice to have a throttle without the leds... as they dows not work very well even with the right voltage.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:38:33 PM »
yes indeed

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Resistor required for 36V throttle on 48V battery
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:56:32 PM »

I've just been testing my 36V throttle LEDs on my 48V battery pack with the aid of a variable resistor.
By simply adjusting the resistance until I had a reading of exactly 75% of the battery voltage (36/48=0.75) I came up with this:

A 36V throttle running on 48V SLA batteries requires a resistance of approx 740 Ohms in line for it to work correctly.

Fitting a 1K variable resistor would enable it to be fine tuned to suit the type of battery being used. Now when I load the motor and pull the voltage down, the lights actually start to go out like they should!
And the gauge doesn't get so warm now either.  ::)

A 500 Ohm variable resistor could be used for fine tuning the 48V gauge to better suit the GM 48V lithium "rack pack".

Just thought this information might be useful to some of you. ;)

Alan

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 12:53:27 AM »
Perfect Bikemad!

I really would like to know this, thank you very much!

Which wire did you put the resistor?

Offline Wolga

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:39:42 AM »
My experience with the throttle is, that all LED's are ON during the whole time and the last 500 meteres of driving with batterie power one after the other is going OFF.
So the functionality of this voltage-watcher is not very useful.  :(

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Where to fit the resistor
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »
Which wire did you put the resistor?

The resistor should be fitted into the green wire from the throttle control (Goes to the Yellow connector on the Pie) which supplies battery voltage to the gauge. If you use a small preset potentiometer like the one below you can play with the adjustment until the lights start to go off hopefully when you want them to, but it may take a bit of trial and error to get it right.

Use the pin on the right and the pin on the opposite side which is not shown in this picture.
(The pin on the left is not used)

Alan

Important update
Please note that the resistor cannot be placed in the green wire going to the throttle if the red switch is being used to supply the LED lighting (as it does on the later Magic Pies).
The resistor would need to be fitted between the switch supply and the gauge supply wire ensuring that the lighting switch is fed directly and not through the resistor.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:20:57 AM by Bikemad »