Author Topic: Magic-pie on Koga-Miyata  (Read 23009 times)

Offline Eriknoort

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Magic-pie on Koga-Miyata
« on: November 29, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »
I build a Magic Pie on A Full-Suspention Koga-Miyata, for my 70 years old dad.

There is a Garmin with dutch cycling maps.

The battery is a 36V 16AH. Speed arround 30 KM/H
A PAS sensor is fitted.

I fitted a 9 speed sprocket. The bike have 18 gears.

The old man is very happy with it and is looking for another (same) bike for my mother.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic-pie on Koga-Miyata
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:50:41 PM »
A PAS sensor is fitted.
I fitted a 9 speed sprocket.

Excellent job!

Is the pedelec unit functional, or just fitted to look like it complies with EU regulations?
If it is functional, how does it work with the thumb throttle?

Did the 9 speed freewheel cause any problems with the alignment and centring of the rear wheel in the frame?
Presumably you've spaced the axle by approx 17mm on the gear side.

It would be nice to have a bit more information on the fitting of it to assist others who may wish to do the same.

Alan

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 02:32:03 PM »

There is a Garmin with dutch cycling maps.

does this means you live in the Netherlands?, me 2.

nice looking bike.

Offline Koga

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 03:43:56 PM »
Hey that great. I have all most the same bike. Just a little older model. The blue Koga-Miyata Alliance full suspension.
It's a great bike and very comfortable. A Dutch product to be proud of.

I was about to photoshop a Magic Pie in it, to see how it would look. But you did it for me. It doesn't even look that big and I have the 60cm frame.

The thumb throttle on the left is a good idea. But of course I have a few questions too:

How did you remove the ehhh what's the English word... handvaten?
And that looks like a 7 speed sprocket. Did you order that with the Pie or did you get it at a local shop?
And did it fit the frame without bending the aluminum?

I'm still not sure if I'm going to install the pie or the mini motor. With the mini motor I think I can get away with it having no pedelec. Because it wouldn't look like an ebike if I place the battery in a bag. Before Hardcore (Kevin's) post about him being stopped by the cops, I didn't think that would be a problem.

Did you use a 48, 36 or a legal 24v battery?

And does your dad live near Brabant? I would love to taste the Pie :-)

Stan

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:00:28 PM »
don't worry about the cops...
they don't have any proof that ebikes can go beyond the 25km/h I just got a little bit of bad luck.
there are more than half a million ebikes in the Netherlands so the one I got is just a bit better. nowadays I pedal with to maintain 40km/h. if you go normal 30 with pedaling you won't have any problems.

i really love the mp( got 600km on it now)

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 04:01:45 PM »
ooh and ''handvaten'' means grip/handle bars :D

Offline Koga

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 05:30:04 PM »
Hallo Kevin,

"if you go normal 30 with pedaling you won't have any problems." That is the main problem. I don't think I can restrain myself.  ;)
So if it's going to be a Pie a 24v battery may be best for me. I think I can expect a Pie at 24v to be more reliable then a maxed out mini motor (I weigh 100kg). Still... freewheeling and a little lighter is still a perk of the minimotor. Though on a fast 48v Pie regen.braking is not a luxury.

And maybe I get scared at speed over 35km/h.  ;D

Glad to hear you like your Pie.

What is your opinion on the noise it makes?

Stan

Offline Eriknoort

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 05:49:42 PM »
Here are some answers to the questions.

Here I did buy the 9 speed freewheel sprocket
http://www.fietspunt.nl/shop/showarticle.php/artid/464010/name/Freewheel_9V_Sunrace_MFM90_13-32
The 9 speed freewheel fits with 2 extra washers because the 9 speed sprockets are closer to eachother than a 5,6 or 7 speed.
The axle is 5 mm wider so I did not use forse to put in the wheel.
The rim is not exact in the middle but it works fine.
I am thinking of realign the wheel. Shorten the spokes in the Sprocket side and make the spokes on the diskbrake side longer.
The rim will go to the middle of the bike. Like with a racingbike wheel Fig. A.

The PAS works fine but when the old man don't want to paddle he can use the thumb trottle and cruise control too.
I don't care about the EU regulations or the cops. They don't pay attention to Ebikes. The bike don't make any noise. As long as you don't go like a rocket there is no problem.

Yes I live in The Netherlands and no not near Brabant. But in Valkenburg Zuid-Holland between Leiden and Katwijk.

The Grips you remove by just pull with both hands on the inner edge.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 06:11:13 PM »
The rim is not exact in the middle but it works fine.
I am thinking of realign the wheel. Shorten the spokes in the Sprocket side and make the spokes on the diskbrake side longer.
The rim will go to the middle of the bike. Like with a racingbike wheel Fig. A.

Thanks for the reply.
Because the Magic Pie has such a narrow gap between the spoke flanges, I don't think you will be a ble to offset the rim very much, I guess about 4-5mm might be just possible without reducing the wheels lateral rigidity too much.

It would be nice to have an update on how successful you are with trying to realign the rim.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »

I really like that derailor protection bar in this picture. It would be nice to have something like that on the other side of the bike to protect the wire as it comes out of the axle on my HSB36 hub. Of course you don't have this problem  :)

Gary

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »

What is your opinion on the noise it makes?

at low speeds with cruise on you can cycling with a group without them knowing I didn't paddle.
when accelerating you can hear it but it doesn't matter because you're at top speed in a ''second''
at top speed you can't hear a thing except the wind and maybe(if you listen carefully) the freewheel aswel.

hope this answers your question, I can also make some vids

Offline Koga

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 11:22:46 PM »
Thanks for the answers and info guys. I'll buy the Pie. I'm thinking maybe loosing a few gears and adding a few rings on the other end could center the wheel. I'm not sure thou if that's compatible with the shifter on the handle bars. I would also like to hear if the spoke realigning worked. If so I'm thinking of ordering a rimless Pie and lacing it in the original or other gray rim. I think the Alliance is a very beautiful bike and although the black rim looks good on Eric's dad's bike I'm not sure how it would look on my bike. I bought it second hand from an old man that wanted an electric bike  :-\. It was three times my budget new. I have never been interested in bikes, I always had a trusty 3 speed Gazelle Impala, but I really fell in love with this bike. Compared to cars this is a Bentley. And I would like to keep it as original as possible. I also want to keep the original Shimano brake levers (if that's the word.) and fit a little switch on the rear brake clamp.

Thanks again for all the info.

PS Hardcore videos are always welcome  :D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 12:49:10 AM »

Please note:
All posted videos will be closely monitored for any inappropriate content, as a forum moderator, I feel it is my duty to do so!

Alan

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 06:41:35 AM »
about the shifters ;D I had speed shifters what I put around the handle bars  ;)
i didn't wanted to screw around with the sensor or wathever
gotta go to school

Offline Koga

• Confirmed
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 01:07:07 PM »

Please note:
All posted videos will be closely monitored for any inappropriate content, as a forum moderator, I feel it is my duty to do so!

Alan

LOL  :D

But seriously a video would be nice, but I'm already convinced into buying a Magic Pie.
I'm having Pie for Christmas.

Thanks again guys,
Stan