Author Topic: hpm5000b; a look inside  (Read 25689 times)

Offline Harvey_Mushman

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: HPM5000B Wiring
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 06:54:30 AM »
Thanks for the pic, Bikemad  ;D

..wiring schematic, please.

Wiring schematics will vary according to the controller being used, but the wiring is straightforward as the colours are the same as GM's "non-Pie" hubmotors:

Motor Phase Wire (Thick Blue)
Motor Phase Wire (Thick Yellow)
Motor Phase Wire (Thick Green)

Motor Hall Sensor 5V Supply Wire (Thin Red)
Motor Hall Sensor 0V Ground Wire (Thin Black)
Motor Hall Sensor Wire (Thin Blue)
Motor Hall Sensor Wire (Thin Yellow)
Motor Hall Sensor Wire (Thin Green)

The HPC100B controller connection details can be found  here.

Alan

P.S. Does anyone know whether it's feasible to link two of the magic controllers in parallel to give a 100Amp controller (4.8KW@48V) with regen, reverse and cruise functions etc. for use with this motor?

As for the P.S.. Battery chargers, brushed motors & controllers can (generally) work in parallel.  However, I have never seen multiple BLDC controllers working in parallel. 

One amplifier for each phase, yes!  Alan Cocconi of AC Propulsion eluded to this in 'Who Killed the Electric Car?'..

Offline gestalt

• Confirmed
Re: hpm5000b; a look inside
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 05:09:05 PM »

What voltage are you planning to run this motor at?

I'm going to run it at the motors rated 48v. The controller has a switch to change it from 100v to 50v. As far as how the controller limits the current I am unsure.

Offline gestalt

• Confirmed
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 08:07:16 PM »
so hopefully some higher rez shots will help this thread along, in the first image you can see the stator magnets have a gap between them and the coil. In the second image you can see that on the other side the magnets are pinched up against the coils. I am guessing that is why the axle will no longer turn freely.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 11:35:11 PM »
you can see the stator magnets have a gap between them and the coil. In the second image you can see that on the other side the magnets are pinched up against the coils. I am guessing that is why the axle will no longer turn freely.

Gestalt,

Has the motor only been stiff to turn since your attempt to dismantle it or was it already tight before that?
If it did become stiff during disassembly, can you remember what you did that may have caused it to become tight?
Did you by any chance try to encourage the spindle out of the housing using some "gentle persuasion" from a large mallet.

Have you tried it with the front housing refitted and tightened fully to centre the rotor correctly?

If you removed the four allen bolts on the rear which hold the stator in place, the stator could have been pulled towards the magnets and may just need to be reseated back into the correct position again.

I'm basically just clutching at straws here, as it's very difficult to see what might be causing the problem without being able to closely inspect the motor.

It might be worth taking it to a local garage or machine shop for a second opinion, as someone who regularly deals with mechanical problems will probably be able to locate the problem straight away.

Alan

Offline gestalt

• Confirmed
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 03:34:31 AM »
HUZZAH!!!I finally got the damn thing to spin again. All it took was to take apart and put the thing back together oh, I don't know...about five times until I found the correct order. So lets just consider this look inside a complete success, we now know what is under the hood and I know alot more about dissasembly technique. Thanks to all of you  for all the guidance on this issue, I couldn't have done it without your help.  Builds character. I now can breath a sigh of relief and continue with the work on the rest of the bike without fretting over my motor woes.

Offline Kittuk4ever@gmail.com

• Confirmed
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 08:57:30 AM »
hey can anyone help me I have the similar problem as mentioned above there is no gap between the stator magnets and the coil...........can anyone help me.....and also explain step wise about solving this problemmm its very urgent................................... :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 12:56:42 PM »

Have you dismantled the motor or did it come like it?

I suspect you've probably had the motor apart, in which case it has to be something that you've done, so take a good close look to see if everything was correctly located during the reassembly process.

Is the gap non-existent all the way around, or just in one position?

Alan