Author Topic: Who wants Smaller Pies?  (Read 23260 times)

Offline ggielen

• Confirmed
Re: Who wants Smaller Pies?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 10:52:32 PM »
Yes yes yes! That would be exactly the ticket! The 16 incher wrapped in a 'normal' bicycle wheel size (or just offered with flanges ready to accept spokes!)  Come on GM, you already have the motor windings etc. figured out, just get rid of that cast rim and throw on some spokes  :P

Offline nwmtnbkr

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 02:53:11 AM »
I'm buying a folding bike with 20" wheels for some travel by train in 2010.  I'd love to see the Magic Pie in a 20" wheel.  The simplicity of it's design, with the controller housed in the wheel, would be even more ideal for a folding bike.  I put an electric motor on my mountain bike this past summer and definitely will install an electric conversion kit on the new folder.  I hope the Magic Pie will soon be available in 20" wheels because that's the motor I'd prefer to install.

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
We really need the 20" and 24" models...

Is this possible and if so when would they he ready for sale

Offline Mabman

• Confirmed
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 04:49:21 AM »
I just wanted to say that we received our 16" MP today less than two weeks after payment with just 4 days shipping, including customs, from the factory in good order. It will be awhile before I can post about its intended use and how it performs but just wanted to say thanks to the Golden Motors team here for making just what we needed at just the right time ;D

Mabman

Offline jimabbott

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »
Don't get too excited about the Magic Pie as you havn't got the antitheft wheel locking device to work yet, and as far as I know nobody has! I don't even believe it has been implimented in the "Magic Pie" although it is clearly documented on GM's website. My main reason for buying the "Magic Pie" was to protect me against theft as I have invested over €2000 on my bike.

Good luck,

Jim

Offline Mabman

• Confirmed
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 03:23:39 PM »
Anti theft devices only keep honest people honest. The anti theft option, even if not working as advertised, is not going to affect our needs at this time.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 08:06:44 PM »
Don't get too excited about the Magic Pie as you havn't got the antitheft wheel locking device to work yet, and as far as I know nobody has! I don't even believe it has been implimented in the "Magic Pie" although it is clearly documented on GM's website. My main reason for buying the "Magic Pie" was to protect me against theft as I have invested over €2000 on my bike.

Good luck,

Jim

wtf, 2000,-? on what

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Offset Rims?
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 01:37:37 AM »
Discuss this... and don't say I don't care for my beloved forumers. ;)

I think that the 16" cast alloy rim looks really nice, but I was surprised to find out that it still suffers from the offset rim problem.
(About 7mm offset on the front and around 9mm on the rear.)
This could easily have been sorted if the rim had been offset to allow for the offset hub as shown in the attached diagrams below.

I realise it may not be cost effective to produce two different rims for the same size wheel, but if it had been designed with an offset  7mm, it could be used either way round to suit front or rear wheels.

This would have given a perfectly centred front rim, and a much reduced rear offset of 2mm instead of 9mm, which would be a lot easier to accept.

A front rim which is not correctly centred will have a noticeable affect on the steering, it will pull to the left under acceleration, and pull to the right during braking and I expect it will also upset the self centring castor action as well.

It should be relatively easy to incorporate the correct amount of offset into both the design and the manufacturing of a cast rim.

I would love to hear your comments on the subject of offset rims.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:07:23 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 07:13:37 AM »
Dear Alan,

We are going to create moulds for 20" cast rim for MagicPie since 20" rim is most popular for teenage bikes. We will adopt your suggestions to make 20" rim more centered.

But we like your and other bike riders advices on tire sizes for this 20" MagicPie. It is expensive to make new mould. So we want more feedbacks on 20" to mount most common available tires.

Thanks for your support.

Golden Motor 

Offline ggielen

• Confirmed
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »
I applaud the idea of a 20" cast rim and fully centered front wheel version. I would be in favour of maintaining the current 16" maximum rpm, thus increasing top speed due to larger circumference. Personally, I am partial to big tires such as the Schwalbe Big Apple for their ride comfort.

I must say I am not a conventional user, as I am not into the bicycles so much as into the electric vehicles. For a lightweight electric vehicle ('EV'), the Magic Pie is excellent. There is one additional feature though that I would greatly appreciate, and that I believe would be beneficial to have for GM if you wish to become a player in this market as well: reverse. I'm no expert on the electronics side, but I can imagine it only requires modification to the controller.

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 01:23:01 AM »
There is one additional feature though that I would greatly appreciate, and that I believe would be beneficial to have for GM if you wish to become a player in this market as well: reverse. I'm no expert on the electronics side, but I can imagine it only requires modification to the controller.
If this is enabled, then it should also include a warning tone, like a truck/lorry, when reverse is selected so that you know not to go full throttle in reverse and/or have it limit the rpm when in reverse.

Muzza.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Suggested solution to cure offset rims
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 01:36:10 AM »
I don't know how feasible this idea will be, but here goes anyway:

I propose an adapter ring could be cast out of lightweight alloy to enable the existing hubs to be adapted to enable all spoked wheels to have their rims centred correctly.

First, One of the spoke fixing flanges would need to be machined off the existing hub.

Then the cast adapter ring could be bolted on top of the side cover using longer bolts to secure both parts in one go.

This would effectively reposition the spoke flange so that they were both approximately centred within the axle fixings rather than being centred on an offset hub.

Front and rear hubs would need the adapter to be fitted on different sides, but it should be possible to use the same adapter for both front and rear wheels as the spokes should be able to compensate for the slight differences.

The assembly could then be repainted as required to blend in the machined surface and the newly fitted adapter ring etc. prior to the assembly of the wheel, which could then be built with the rim perfectly centred. (and hopefully concentric as well ;))

This modification would mean that only one side cover could be removed easily for access to the motor and controller if required, but I don't see that would be a real problem.

I've tried to show exactly what I mean with the following animation:

it would be nice to know what the guys at GM think to my suggestion. :)

Alan

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 01:37:41 AM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 02:09:05 AM »
Alan!

You take this out of my mind! I swear I have it drawn in a notebook!

But I see it as a (good, but) temporary solution, for long therm they need to have a new design for this component.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:13:41 AM by Yacamim »

Offline ggielen

• Confirmed
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 04:24:51 AM »
There is one additional feature though that I would greatly appreciate, and that I believe would be beneficial to have for GM if you wish to become a player in this market as well: reverse. I'm no expert on the electronics side, but I can imagine it only requires modification to the controller.
If this is enabled, then it should also include a warning tone, like a truck/lorry, when reverse is selected so that you know not to go full throttle in reverse and/or have it limit the rpm when in reverse.

Muzza.

I definitely agree with the rpm limit in reverse, not so sure about the horn though  ;) (never needed one in the car  :P). On the other hand, if we keep the rpm the same as in forward 'gear', since the hub motor should offer us this possibility, we can do reverse races like with the old DAF variomatic cars that went equally fast in reverse as in forward speed :)

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 08:30:59 AM »
I definetly agree with Alan that something should be done about the off centre wheel.

The Idear and animation looks very good, to fix the current pies.
The next phase however would be to learn from this first pie and alter the fabrication proces.
Would be a shame to pruduce such a nice motor with some minor design flaws in big numbers.

Best regards,

Jerry.
. _   _   __  __  ___  ____  ____  _     _   ____  ____
 ( )_( ) (  ) (  )(  _ \ (  _ \ (  _  )(  \/\/ ) ( ___) (  _ \
  ) _ (   )(__)(  ) _<  )___/ )(_)(  )      (   )__)   )    /
 (_) (_)(_____)(__ / (__)  (____)(__/\__)(____)(_)\_)