Author Topic: SMP5 Controller Stumper  (Read 3110 times)

Offline EBEN

• Confirmed
SMP5 Controller Stumper
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:01:10 AM »
I've read through pinned thread on programming the vector controller,and am still at a loss for why I can't get the programming software to connect to my new Smart Pie 5.

I successfully installed the Smart Pie software to the controller using the flash update program following Gary's video: https://youtu.be/UD8_zPrg6wQ?t=4m35s

Immediately afterwards, I tried connecting using the programming software. I've successfully connected to other controllers using this same cable and program on this same computer. Following the instructions on pinned thread didn't work, neither do the instructions on Gary's other video:  https://youtu.be/ahcEXpMBxuA?t=1m59s

I've confirmed that none of the unused wires are touching each other. And I don't have the wire harness connected.

It's worth noting that when I first hooked up the controller to the motor, I powered it on fully connected to the bike, and didn't get any error messages on the display. After installing the Smart Pie software and trying to connect to the programming software, I get an error 2 (throttle) message when I connect everything up on the bike.

Thanks for any guidance on next steps.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: SMP5 Controller Stumper
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »
I've successfully connected to other controllers using this same cable and program on this same computer.

Do you have any of these "other controllers" to check if they are still able to connect?

Did the new Smart Pie 5 controller work correctly before you reflashed the firmware?
If so, why did you reflash it?

Do you have a Bluetooth dongle to try the Bluetooth connectivity?

Alan

Offline EBEN

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:49:21 AM »
Hi Alan,

I reflashed it because the controller didn't work properly -- the hub got extremely hot and ran very rough, even under no load -- which I was told on another thread means it was likely programmed for the MP5 out of the box.

The previous controller I programmed with the cable is no longer working, unfortunately. But I do have a controller that had one of its capacitors knocked off during shipping. I was thinking of trying to solder it back on and use it to see if I can connect. I've never soldered before, and don't want to do anything stupid that could damage my computer. Assuming I don't mess up the soldering, is there any reason not to try to do this?

Thanks.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:56:50 AM »
Hi Eben,

I would not bother trying to solder the capacitor back on, as I don't think it will be possible without removing the circuit board from the aluminium housing.

The controller with the broken off capacitor should still connect correctly even with the capacitor missing, and the missing capacitor should not have any detrimental effect on your computer.
I wouldn't recommend installing and using the controller without the capacitor, but it should be ideal for testing the USB connectivity.

If you can connect successfully to that controller, you will know that the problem is not with the PC or the USB programming lead.

Alan

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:00:52 AM by Bikemad »

Offline EBEN

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 02:37:23 AM »
Thanks, Alan. I was able to successfully connect to the controller with the broken off capacitor. Do you think it's worth trying to reconnect the capacitor with a product like wire glue? The capacitor broke off clean, but is slightly dented. I could try to remove a capacitor that isn't dented from a donor controller, but notice that that the numbers on the capacitor of the donor controller are different than the numbers on broken off capacitor. I don't know anything about this kind of stuff, so not sure if the differences in numbers matter.

Thanks,
Eben

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 10:35:17 AM »
Hi Eben,

I don't think wire glue is likely to produce an effective repair.

If it is one of the large capacitors, it might be viable to simply solder a similar sized capacitor (80V 470uF) directly across the black and red battery feed wires inside the controller and hot melt glue it into place upside down, but if it's one of the smaller capacitors, this would not be possible as they will probably connect to a different part of the controller's circuitry.

Are you able to add some close up pictures of the controller and the detached capacitor?

At least you now know that the other controller is definitely faulty, and it's not a problem with your USB programming lead, software or PC.  ;)

Alan