Author Topic: Synchronizing two VEC200 controllers  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Pmeslin

• Confirmed
Synchronizing two VEC200 controllers
« on: September 08, 2021, 02:12:50 PM »
For my application, I would need to run a pair of slightly customized HPM3000s (double-ended shaft) at the same RPM in opposite directions (big battery-powered vibrating platform, using two motors to cancel out the gyroscopic effects and lateral motion, leaving only 'up-down' vibration).

Trying to run both motors off one VEC200 controller causes them to vibrate since they're not in phase.
From what I could read, the older HPC controllers can do 'dual controller synchronous drive' but there's just about no documentation on how to do that.

Would the VEC200 controllers be able to do something similar? Any insight or info on how?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Synchronizing two VEC200 controllers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 12:41:49 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

I have not come across anything controller related that would allow the two motors to precisely synchronise with the exact same angular motion.

Synchronising rpm might somehow be possible, but without having some form of feedback sensor to detect the angular position of both motors, I don't see how you can electronically synchronise the two motors.

I would suggest using a chain and sprockets with a couple of idler sprockets to mechanically link and synchronise the two motors rotating in opposite directions:

The chain should not have to transmit any power between the motors if they were correctly synchronised, it is only required to maintain the correct angular relationship between the two motors.

Fine adjustment of the idler sprockets should allow perfect synchronisation to be achieved, allowing both motors to run off a single controller using the hall sensors from just one motor to control the timing of the controller's phase wire outputs.

Alan