Author Topic: Smart Pie 5 Motor Shaft Dimensions  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Tjschweizer

• Confirmed
Smart Pie 5 Motor Shaft Dimensions
« on: August 16, 2019, 03:27:13 PM »
Hi, I inherited some Smart Pie 5 motors from some students working on a university project. They have cut the shaft off with an angle grinder, so I'm hoping to machine a new shaft. Does anyone have any drawings for the shaft?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Smart Pie 5 Motor Shaft Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 10:14:29 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

Below are the only dimensioned drawings I could find.
The front motor has cooling fins cast into the controller side cover and the disc mounts on the opposite side of the motor:

The rear motor has the combined cooling fan and disc mount on the controller side:

I'm guessing that this is the side of the axle that has been cut off:

Hopefully they have not machined off the disc mounting boss or freewheel threaded boss from the outer cover.

Unfortunately, you will have to determine the various shaft diameters from what's left of the original shafts, after you have removed the circlip located behind the controller housing and pressed the shafts out:

I don't know if GM China would be able to supply replacement axle shafts, but it might be worth sending an email to sales@goldenmotor.com and asking them, but you'll first need to confirm whether your motors are fronts or rears.  :-\

Alan

Offline Tjschweizer

• Confirmed
Re: Smart Pie 5 Motor Shaft Dimensions
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 04:29:25 PM »
Thanks for the pictures! It turns out I have a Smart Pie 5 Vector, the Front Motor. Well, two of them actually, both with the shafts cut off  >:(

The shaft was cut off flush with the face of the controller. Now I just need to figure out what I want to do with these motors!