Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 (VECTOR) cooling  (Read 2834 times)

Offline HiJaak

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 5 (VECTOR) cooling
« on: July 19, 2018, 07:31:30 PM »
Will GM drill, inject and seal for Statorade?
https://youtu.be/JZU-mhlNcqE?t=84

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 5 (VECTOR) cooling
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 09:45:20 PM »
I presume that Statorade is primarily meant for hub motors equipped with external controllers, so I'm not sure whether the internal controller would be affected by the Statorade if some of it found its way into the controller housing in the centre of the stator.  :-\

I'm not sure about the MP5, but the MP Edge definitely has a "Z" shaped milled slot on the side cover flange to allow the air to move freely between the inside of the motor and the outside (and vice versa).

If you put Statorade in this motor, you would have to seal up this breather slot to prevent the Statorade from leaking out, and if you completely sealed the side cover joints, the only place for the internal air to go when it expands as the motor gets hot, would be through the axle bearings.

As the motor gets hot, the expanding air would then have to force its way out though the dust seals on the bearings, and washing a warm motor with a hosepipe at the end of a dirty ride would cause the air inside the motor to quickly contract, causing air from outside to be drawn into the motor through the bearings (accompanied by some of the water from the hosepipe).

This would not be very good for the longevity of the bearings.

Also, the standard Magic Pie does not tend to overheat with the default recommended 25A maximum current setting, so additional cooling measures are not really needed.

If you are going to use an external controller with higher Amps and Voltage, then it might be worth considering. But I can't imagine that GM would be prepared to modify all of their motors just so that the occasional customer can add Statorade.

If you are planning on modifying the motor to produce a lot more power, then it is your decision if you wish to modify the covers to allow Statorade to be injected.  ;)

My Magic Pie II has a modified internal controller that delivers up to 60 Amps (and does not have an external cooling fan like the MPIII, MP4 and MP5 have) and I have never had it overheat.

Alan

Offline Neven

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 05:42:20 PM »
Being a fairly heavy rider who lives on top of a mountain, I have had to find a solution to thermal cut outs on the way home.  I use the Magic Pie edge and I have installed statorade.

That z shaped notch that Allan shows does cause some leakage, so I ended up putting a bit of duct seal to plug it.  For me personally, I've weighed the pros and cons and considered less thermal cut outs the better.  The shell does get noticeably hotter during a ride, but that's heat that would have been trapped longer within the motor.  As for leakage near the axle and around d the controller.  My statorade has not leaked that way as of yet.

I have experimented with pushing the controller to its rated limits, and it did not thermal cut either, but I ended up dialing it back due to extending battery life.

As for application, I personally removed the cover and worked it off the motor.  I would recommend a nice work bench with a vice to hold the axle, it made it much more easy than when I did it on the living room floor with my wife yelling at me to not ruin the hardwood

Offline HiJaak

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:30:07 PM »
lol, protect the hardwood floor, I understand the garage being a better location.
GRIN statorade contains magnetic micro particles to locate magnets and reduce leakage.
http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/statorade.html