Author Topic: Converting Smart Pie 26" to electric kick scooter  (Read 3337 times)

Offline RooGM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Converting Smart Pie 26" to electric kick scooter
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »
I have the Magic Pie Vector and the older non vector Smart Pie (with internal controller).  My other half no longer uses her Smart Pie bike so I want to build an electric kick scooter.  Has anyone done this?  I will need to remove the 26" rim and fit the smallest possible rim available for this hub.  The only problem is I can't find the small rim for sale.  I hope to achieve something like this:

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/krismclean/1211Scooter.jpg

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/krismclean/1211Scooter.jpg

Can this be done with the Smart Pie 26" by swapping out the rims?

Thanks guys.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Converting Smart Pie 26" to electric kick scooter
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »
I suggest you email Philip (sales@goldenmotor.com) and ask if it is possible to purchase the 12" cast rim/motor ring assembly for the 12" Smart Pie on its own:

Aidan's scooter was built using a 16" Magic Pie wheel:

Therefore it should also be possible to use a spoked 16" rim Smart Pie if you cannot get hold of the original 12" cast rim/motor ring assembly.

GM assemble their 20" Smart Pie wheels with all the leading spokes on one side and all the trailing spokes on the other:

Installing the Smart Pie into a 16" rim could be achieved by drilling another 36 holes in the hub flanges to keep the spoke angles within an acceptable range as shown here:

This would allow a more conventional spoke angle with trailing and leading spokes distributed evenly on both sides of the wheel:

If you don't like the idea if drilling your hub, you might be able to get away with radial spoking a 16" rim to a Smart Pie.

The required spoke length will vary considerably according to the spoke pattern and actual rim being used, but you would need to make sure that you can obtain short enough spokes (or the correct cast 12" rim) before dismantling your existing wheel.

Alan

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:55:23 PM by Bikemad »

Offline RooGM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 03:50:28 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks a lot for that.  The blue and white scooter in your photo looks amazing.  I would prefer to go with the smallest option by fixing the rim directly to the Smart Pie without spokes.  I would rather not drill into my Smart Pie if at all possible.  I have emailed Philip.  I also emailed Gary on Sunday to see if he has any of the rims that I could purchase.  Hopefully I'll hear back but it's likely that he doesn't sell the rims separately. If he had a spare from a broken motor it would be good.

The purpose of the scooter is for running my dog.  Doing it on the bike is not as safe because I can't easily get off the bike while it's rolling.  With a scooter I can lower my speed and step off in a very short amount of time.  A scooter is also a lot more compact and lightweight, and if it folds I can easily take it in the car to better dog running locations.  Plus, it should be heaps of fun!

Thanks again for the help with this.  If my projects goes ahead I will be posting the results here.

Offline RooGM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 01:13:43 AM »
Gary got back to me and from what he said I think it's basically a no go or quite difficult at the least.  I may just sell my Smart Pie and buy one of these:

https://swagtron.com/wp-content/uploads/swagtron_swagger_bk_01_front_perspective.jpg

I would love to use the pie though, since I already have it.  And I like tinkering with projects.  I haven't heard from Philip yet on whether or not the rim is available separately. 

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:21:19 AM by RooGM »