Author Topic: Wiring color codes don't match wiring on my MP2 kit  (Read 6830 times)

Offline Dirk

• Confirmed
Wiring color codes don't match wiring on my MP2 kit
« on: July 26, 2015, 09:05:16 PM »
Innee? meanie? minee? Mo!  ~Most of the wiring on MP2 kit is made simple by the labels and the use of different shaped connectors. Except for these last 3 connectors, which are all the exact same 2 pin plastic type. AND to make it more confusing they have colors different from all 3 different variations of wiring diagrams I have found on the net. Most involve the different handle bar mounted devices. But who knows what goes where? Since my kit wont run, at all, no light no beep from the controller, nothing when hooked up to the new 48 volt battery, maybe these wires are the problem. Gary at GM Canada said just ask on the blog, so here I am and heres the picture of my 3 mystery plugs. Can anyone tell me which color wire should go to which color wire ? LOL, Because they sure don't match each other, and they don't match any wiring diagram I have found, or was provided. What.. do they just throw on any old wire from the factory and expect the customers to sort it out on their own? Lets hope not. Be nice to actually see this kit work! Thanks for any reply's!

a) Blue/Green = go to=?
b) Yellow/Blue= go to=?
c) Pink/Black= go to=?
*All 3 connectors are identical black plastic, not color coded as shown in the diagram.
*None of the 3 color pairs (shown in the pic)above match the corresponding pairs of colors on the 3 available connectors.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:24:52 AM by Dirk »

Offline Dirk

• Confirmed
Re: Wiring color codes don't match wiring on my MP2 kit
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 09:12:59 PM »
Lots of nice colors to choose from on these diagrams, but none seem to match what I was shipped!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 12:18:51 AM »
What exactly is the cable with the three unlabelled plugs connected to at its other end?
As I suspect it could be an additional switch unit like this:

It's very difficult to tell from the photo, but next to the brake switch connector it looks like there are two unused connectors which I presume are for the cruise control switch and the horn switch. I would expect to see a single cable with four wires and two connectors coming from the horn/cruise button control unit that would plug into these.

Or have you not fitted the above horn/cruise button control unit?

Also, did you check for battery voltage at the controller as I previously suggested, and if so was it correct?

I suggest you check the voltage on the Battery + and Battery - terminals (on the controller) to make sure at least 52~58V is actually reaching the controller depending upon the battery chemistry (LiMn or LiFePO4).

Could you also post a picture showing the connections on the controller as I am wondering whether the "B+" wire has a fixed loop across to the "G" connector.

If the "G" connector does not have a battery feed (either separately switched or direct from the "B+" connection) the controller and the battery gauge LEDs will not work.

Alan
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:30:26 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Dirk

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 05:15:27 AM »
This is good, were on the hunt~ Thanks Alan for your reply!
Yes. there is a red loop to the G input:
The 2 switches I have are the on/off version with 2 buttons below for "horn" & "light" just like your first picture shows.
and a "Battery 3 LED indicator with a red "Light" button on it".

I will have to check the voltages "At the actual Controller pins" tomorrow. and will update on what I find.
The Battery is out putting50+ volts  OK, but maybe it isnt making it to the controller due to a bad connector or wire. Good Suggestion! Wouldnt that be easy if thats the only problem! Thanks again!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 11:40:43 AM »
After looking carefully at your photo, the red switch on the throttle control appears to have been pre-wired at the factory to function as a reverse switch.

The other switch is usually purchased as an optional extra switch that can be fitted in addition to the standard switches to allow additional devices or functions to be controlled, but the installer normally makes up all the additional wiring for the switch plugs to connect to according to their own specific requirements.

You should still have been supplied with the standard two button horn and cruise control switch to allow the cruise control function to be used, but the horn button on the additional switch could be used to operate the horn if you are not planning on fitting the cruise button unit.

Are there any separate loose wires or unused connectors on the controller harness that are not connected to anything? 
If so, are they labelled and what colour are they and where exactly are they connected on the controller?

Unfortunately I can't inspect the wiring like you can, so if you can provide me with more detailed information and pictures, it should make it easier for me to understand your problem and hopefully come up with a solution.

Alan

Offline Dirk

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 02:42:45 PM »
Will do Alan. And will relook in packaging to see if a cruise control unit is anywhere.
I checked the GM Lith 48v battery again. Discovered it only shows 22volts. Even though it has been hooked to the charger twice (last time about 30 days ago) and has 'Never been Used" or run.
I hooked it up to the 52 volt+ charger again, and noticed (again) that the Charger comes on for about 30 seconds with 2 red lights, then clicks off ~over to a Green light and one Red light, waits about 10 seconds and clicks back to double Red and charges for 30 seconds, then off, over and over and over, then finally just stay off with one Green and one Red.
I assumed before this meant I was fully charged and ready to go at 48 volts!
But, thanks to your suggestion I double checked the output and it still reads only 22 volts, with the charger removed.
With the charger on, it actually only shows 19 volts! Obviously not 48-52 + volts needed.

Ive been tinkering with this MPII Kit for over a year. The Battery I believe was finally purchased in February for about $600. So far I got about $1,000 invested and have yet to taken a ride! LOL  Does this suggest the Battery is BAD? Or the Battery is not the 48v as ordered, but instead a 24 volt? The GM label on the battery and the charger says 48v 10AH. The charger too says 52+ volts.

But even 24 volts should be enough to activate the external controllers beep circuits and light. So I will keep checking on those items. We may have 2 problems going on at once. Battery & Controller. Gary has already said there was no returns on the controller. I am worried now about this investment in the Battery too! 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:00:46 PM by Dirk »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Incorrect battery voltage
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 03:41:02 PM »
Dirk, check that the voltage setting on your charger is in the correct position to suit your mains voltage or the charger will not charge properly:

In the above picture mine is on the 220V setting but yours will probably need to be on the 110V setting. Use a ball point pen to slide it down to the correct position and then recharge the battery fully until the green light stays on and then re-measure the battery voltage.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:40:02 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Dirk

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 06:13:11 PM »
Charger is set at 110v.
OK, left it on for a while with red green lights on but the voltage still low. Then I unplugged charger, and tried wiggling the key, and switching through all the different positions, and suddenly popped up as outputting 55.2 volts! Good news!
Maybe the key circuit switch is somehow intermittent. I'll try hooking everything back up and test the voltage at the Controller input next. Maybe we'll get this puppy working yet !
Thanks Alan, Good suggestions!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 07:16:10 PM »
You might want to email Gary before taking the end cover off the battery to ensure you don't invalidate the warranty but I suggest you check the contact plate on the ends of the keyswitch and make sure it is not being pulled away from the switch unit:

On my battery, the cables soldered onto the end cover had pulled the fixed contact plate away from the moving contacts.

I pressed the end cover back in fully and then bent the wires more tightly at the switch end to make sure the wires were no longer trying to lever it off again and I have not experienced any further problems with the switch since this was done.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:39:45 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Dirk

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 03:03:04 AM »
Alan ~ Im opening a new thread so I can post 2 last pictures.
Were almost there! ~Thanks to your help.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 01:34:41 PM »
Im opening a new thread so I can post 2 last pictures.

Hi Dirk,

Is everything OK? No new thread, no pictures, and I haven't heard anything from you since I replied to your PM last Wednesday (6 days ago).
As you haven't updated or posted anything new on the forum since your previous comment I thought I'd ask how it's going.

Alan