Author Topic: P.A.S. Installation  (Read 12712 times)

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
P.A.S. Installation
« on: March 08, 2012, 09:34:05 AM »
Hello All,

I need the detail instructions on the P.A.S. installation (better by pictures). Could anybody share them with me?

What side of the bicycle (left/right/doesn't matter) should the PAS be installed? 

From my understanding, the PAS system consist of three parts. Please let me know in which order should I install them.

Thank you all in advance for any useful comments!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:56:06 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: P.A.S. Installation
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:46:44 PM »
If you take a look at page 24 of the old installation guide (pdf) it should give you a rough idea of how the unit is fitted.
If you have a suitable tool to remove one end of the bottom bracket bearing, you should be able to secure the metal ring of the PAS sensor using the bearing cap itself instead of glueing it in place.

I found that it would sometimes work intermittently, and then discovered that the magnet ring needed to be positioned very close to the sensor (almost touching it) for more consistent operation.
I also found the PAS to be too powerful for my liking, and as my original Pie could not be programmed to reduce the assistance, I ended up removing the PAS from the bike altogether.

If you have the USB programming cable you should be able to fit the sensor on either side of the bottom bracket and then program the controller so it works while pedalling in the forward direction.

If you find it does not respond at all, try turning the magnet ring around on the pedal shaft to see if it helps.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:23:24 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:57:43 PM »
Alan,
What side of the bicycle the PAS should installed? Does it a matter whether it's installed on the right or left side? What happen if I put the PAS on the opposite side?
Can can I choose whether my motor is driven by PAS or twist throttle?
Thank you!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 03:51:00 AM »
Dmitryl, I'm pretty sure it will only work on one side, but I can't remember which. ::)

If you  fit it to one side, and it only works when you pedal backwards, but not when pedalling forwards, you can try turning the magnet ring around first.  But if that doesn't work (and you don't have a programming lead to reverse it with the software) you may need to swap the sensor and magnet ring over to the other side of the shaft.

When the PAS is fitted, the throttle will still work, but the PAS will automatically cut in whenever you start pedalling. The only way to prevent the PAS from working is to unplug the sensor.

Alan

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Wombat

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 08:47:25 PM »
Finding anything that makes sense and up-to-date regarding the pedelec system is difficult but once again your info Alan goes a long way to helping.

Although a little late for this thread perhaps I would like to mention...

The magnet ring I recently received (Oct '13) includes stamped rotation direction arrows which should help with above queries.

PS for many of us pedelec laws are here to stay.

Regards.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 12:50:32 AM by Wombat »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 08:44:34 PM »
Does the pedelec need the ring or can you remove it from the ring and just use the sensor?

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 11:50:27 PM »
The metal ring is purely a mounting bracket for the sensor unit, so it should be able to use another form of mounting for the sensor, but you will need to make sure it still faces the right direction and lines up with the magnets in the plastic magnet ring.

If you were referring the plastic magnet ring, you may also be able to remove the magnets and bond them directly to the chainwheel using the plastic ring to get the spacing correct, but be very careful to keep them facing the right way too as the polarity of the magnets is important.

Alan