Author Topic: I want to convert an old mid 1970's Corvette  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Loa

• Confirmed
I want to convert an old mid 1970's Corvette
« on: October 08, 2016, 11:45:37 AM »
Hello,

[Note: I hope I posted this first post in the correct section.]

I'm seriously considering a conversion project for the winter, and I'm trying to gather as much info as I can. Some of the Golden motors look really interesting for my project, but I'm still new to all this. Here's what I'm planning. I want to convert an old mid 1970's Corvette.

Top speed to be maintained on level terrain: 75mph
Total vehicle weight: approx 3800lbs as is (including all ICE gear and a two passengers).
Transmission: I'm planning on keeping the manual tranny and 3.23 diff.
Range: I'd like to get approximately 90 miles autonomy when driving casually (not when flooring it).

Could you guys suggest a basic set-up that would allow me to do a decent conversion?

Thanks

Olivier

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: I want to convert an old mid 1970's Corvette
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 12:56:11 PM »
Hi Olivier andto the forum.

Unfortunately I am not aware of any posts regarding large/heavy car conversions and GM motors on this forum, so you may not receive the answers you are looking for.

I'm not really sure whether the 20kW GM motor would even be able to provide the top speed (75mph) that you are aiming for.

I suggest that you do some research and ask for advice over on the Endless-Sphere forum.

Alan

Offline NR

• Confirmed
Re: I want to convert an old mid 1970's Corvette
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 07:19:39 PM »
Try looking these guys ev up, maybe some ideas will pop up: http://truecousins.dk/tcx/TCX%20mainpage.html
I take it you will remove ICE and gearbox and replace with electric motor and batteries.  8)