Author Topic: New member in need of some advice  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Derekj118

• Confirmed
New member in need of some advice
« on: August 17, 2016, 04:05:23 AM »
Hey Guys, I am new to the thread and this is my first post.  I am starting a new build with a new 26' Black Magic Vector ( Magic Pie 5 ) kit paired with a 52v 13.5ah Shark Pack with Panasonic GA cells mounted on the frame. I will eventually be purchasing a 52v Mighty Mini Cube Pack with Panasonic PF cells ( 6ah for extended range mounted on a rack ).
My bike now is a 26' hardtail Northrock XC6 ( Cheapo Frame ) with front suspension and a suspension seatpost. The motor is a MP3 Vector with torque arm combined with a 48V 10AH LiFePO4 Aluminum Cased Battery from GoldenMotor.CA . The battery has definitely done its job and lasted me a while, however I am finally starting to see some power loss and less range. Plus I hate the weight and bulkiness of the battery. The bike rides incredibly well, even at full speeds. It is also rather comfortable because the front fork suspension is decent paired with a good seat and suspension seatpost.

Most of my riding is done on the street, or very light duty off road trails. Any good suggestions as far as what types of gearing I should look into? I am open to anything, but I feel as if I never truly use all 21 gears currently equiped.

Also, I have read mixed information regarding the regenerative braking capabilities of the luna packs and/or the internal BMS. I will be using a 52v 13.5ah Shark pack with Panasonic GA Cells. I have seen a few people claim to have some sucess with the regen, while many have also claimed that they lost regen braking completely when they switched batteries. Do you have any accurate information regarding this? I would like to know because it will moderately effect my range. Also, even if the regenerative braking does not function, or works inefficiently, does that mean that I will lose motor braking function? My current setup now is a ratio of about 90% motor braking and %10 disc brakes so this is a very important detail.

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: New member in need of some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 12:54:20 AM »
Welcome

for gearing I suggest something like this. The 11 tooth small gear is key as it will allow you to keep up with your motor since you are running a 52V pack:
http://www.goldenmotor.bike/7-speed-dnp11-32-tooth-freewheel-2/
^ there is also a 6 speed version of this I've seen before

unfortunately I have no experience with the shark packs, but there are some configuration settings (high voltage cuttoff, low voltage cutoff and max amps etc...) for your Magic Pie that may help you get regen working if the BMS does allow it. For example, regen may not work until your battery pack has been discharged for a bit and has a lower voltage. My Magic Pie 4 won't use regen untill the pack voltage drops to 56.x volts. The braking function doesn't work untill this voltage level is met.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:57:45 AM by pwd »