Author Topic: Disassemble Thumb Throttle for mode switch selector  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Enemzack

• Confirmed
Disassemble Thumb Throttle for mode switch selector
« on: February 22, 2017, 06:46:09 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am trying to do the speed limit switch. I'm trying to open this thumb throttle and was afraid to break it. Any guide from expert who had done this before?

Edit 1:
Apparently,  the only part I manage to open is the only part needed to be open.  The other section is only spring and magnet.

Next question, which cable is the throttle signal wire? Is it the green one?

Edit 2:
I tried using the green cable, at first it was a success, but suddenly and now, the system is not working anymore.i tried Connecting the Bluetooth module, but it's not working. No led.

What could be the problem  :'(
Any suggestions to troubleshoot?

Nik
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:15:57 PM by Enemzack »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Disassemble Thumb Throttle for mode switch selector
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 05:30:53 PM »
Hi Nik,

I presume you wired it as per this circuit:

Without seeing the exact orientation of the Hall sensor (or measuring the voltage on these wires) it is impossible for me to say whether the throttle signal wire is the Green or White wire.
(The +5V wire will be 4.5~5V, and the Throttle Signal wire will be ~0.8V with the throttle released.)

Did you use a separate switch, or did you repurpose the light switch in the throttle body?

If you reused the switch in the throttle body, did you disconnect and carefully insulate the existing wires from the switch contacts before wiring the switch into the new circuit?

Are you sure you didn't allow any of the exposed wires to touch against each other inside the throttle unit?

Unplug the throttle unit and try to connect the Bluetooth again.

If the Bluetooth is working correctly with the throttle disconnected, there is probably a fault in the wiring somewhere inside the throttle unit.

If the Bluetooth is still not working with the throttle disconnected, there may be a problem with the +5V supply from the controller, which may have been accidentally shorted to ground or zapped with full battery voltage.  :o

Use a multimeter and check for a 4.5~5V reading between the Black and Red wires on the pedelec connector. If this voltage is not present, I would say that the +5V regulator (which is an integral part of the controller) has been damaged. :(

If you have wired the circuit exactly as shown in the above diagram, it would not be able to damage the controller, even if you wired the resistor and switch into the +5V wire instead of the Signal wire.  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:48:25 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Enemzack

• Confirmed
Re: Disassemble Thumb Throttle for mode switch selector
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:50:49 AM »
Hi Nik,

I presume you wired it as per this circuit:

yes, I did used this wiring diagram as reference.

Without seeing the exact orientation of the Hall sensor (or measuring the voltage on these wires) it is impossible for me to say whether the throttle signal wire is the Green or White wire.
(The +5V wire will be 4.5~5V, and the Throttle Signal wire will be ~0.8V with the throttle released.)
i attached the hall sensor image for your reference.

Did you use a separate switch, or did you repurpose the light switch in the throttle body?
i use a separate switch for that.

Unplug the throttle unit and try to connect the Bluetooth again.

If the Bluetooth is working correctly with the throttle disconnected, there is probably a fault in the wiring somewhere inside the throttle unit.

If the Bluetooth is still not working with the throttle disconnected, there may be a problem with the +5V supply from the controller, which may have been accidentally shorted to ground or zapped with full battery voltage.  :o

Use a multimeter and check for a 4.5~5V reading between the Black and Red wires on the pedelec connector. If this voltage is not present, I would say that the +5V regulator (which is an integral part of the controller) has been damaged. :(

i will keep you posted on the voltage at pedelec connector.

hopefully it is not a controller problem  :'(
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:46:18 PM by Bikemad »