Author Topic: Is my MP 3 Internal controller Dead?  (Read 5367 times)

Offline Naipe

• Confirmed
  • Lord Naipe
Is my MP 3 Internal controller Dead?
« on: April 15, 2012, 03:26:47 PM »
Hi everyone, I though it might be a good idea to introduce myself when I got a problem with my MP III, and well... it seems the day has come:
Yesterday:
 I went out with my 48v rear wheel MP 3 and everything was fine, lights (back and front) working fine, Regen brakes at 50% or default working fine,
Speed and torque was also normal; no issues on hills and flats, got home after using about 70% battery charge (7 Ah reading on my cycle analyst) charged battery waited until it was finished and disconnected everything...
This morning:
 I plug the battery and I'm ready to go out and have fun but... no power on the motor; lights, cycle analyst and thumb throttle all light up fine, but the motor does not turn not even a twitch. there is no resistance when I turn it with my hand and when I plug the usb cable to the wheel It does not detect it ( I disconnect the battery before I connect the PC to it...) :'(
This is a china purchase and by reading most of the posts I know not to expect any TLC from them... It took me forever to get this eBike to work and look the way I wanted and now this...  :'(

Any Ideas on how to revive this thing? Such a beautiful Sunday and this happens  :'(
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:52:13 PM by naipe »
If you're not asking questions, you're not doing it right!

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Is my MP 3 Internal controller Dead?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:20:39 PM »
A similar thing happened to me, and it turned out that I had managed to make the brake lever open the circuit to the motor.   I'm confident others on the board will offer better advice.

Good Luck.

TTFN,
Dennis
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:42:33 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Naipe

• Confirmed
  • Lord Naipe
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
Hi Dennis,
   Did you also had a problem getting the controller to show up on your PC? This is the main reason why I think the controller is dead, I cant get it to connect to the PC.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »

Hi andto the forum Naipe.

If it was purely a problem with the brake switch, the regenerative braking would have been activated, causing the wheel to be stiff to turn, but as you have already mentioned that there is no resistance, I think this is doubtful. Temporarily unplugging the two brake switch connections from the big four way block connector would prove whether the problem is being caused by the brake switches or not.

A failed Hall sensor inside the throttle assembly could cause a total loss of power, but it would not prevent the controller from being detected by your PC.
If a Reverse switch has been wired up and has been left turned on, this can prevent the controller from communicating successfully with the PC.

If it's an early MPIII, it might be a good idea to closely inspect the wires where they exit the motor to see if they have been damaged and are shorting against the edges of the slot in the axle. Cable damage is less likely to occur on the later versions with the modified axle.

If you cannot find anything obviously wrong with the wiring, I think you should email David (wyh@goldenmotor.com) and explain your problem to him.

And please keep us informed of any developments.

Alan

Offline Naipe

• Confirmed
  • Lord Naipe
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 07:14:51 PM »

Hi andto the forum Naipe.

If it was purely a problem with the brake switch, the regenerative braking would have been activated, causing the wheel to be stiff to turn, but as you have already mentioned that there is no resistance, I think this is doubtful. Temporarily unplugging the two brake switch connections from the big four way block connector would prove whether the problem is being caused by the brake switches or not.

A failed Hall sensor inside the throttle assembly could cause a total loss of power, but it would not prevent the controller from being detected by your PC.
If a Reverse switch has been wired up and has been left turned on, this can prevent the controller from communicating successfully with the PC.

If it's an early MPIII, it might be a good idea to closely inspect the wires where they exit the motor to see if they have been damaged and are shorting against the edges of the slot in the axle. Cable damage is less likely to occur on the later versions with the modified axle.

If you cannot find anything obviously wrong with the wiring, I think you should email David (wyh@goldenmotor.com) and explain your problem to him.

And please keep us informed of any developments.

Alan
Hi Bikemad,
    I purchased my MPIII less than a month ago, the wires don't exhibit any damage on the edges of the axle. I'm hoping it might be something silly but I haven't wired the reverse switch so I would not know if the signal was sent to active the reverse, can I just cross two cables and try to see if I get the motor running again? which cables should I use?... I also sent an email to the sales@goldenmotor.com explaining that the motor is not working anymore hopefully they will reply soon.

Thanks again for your insight in this matter.
 :'(
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:57:08 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Naipe

• Confirmed
  • Lord Naipe
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:20:40 PM »
Tuesday Morning and haven't heard back from Golden Motor China, I sent them an email Sunday morning and another one yesterday morning both to David and sales@goldenmotor.com, I guess I'm getting what I paid for... Oh wait, I paid a lot of money for this kit and it really sucks that I haven't even received an email from them with a least at acknowledgment that my issue is going to and/or being addressed.

should have bought my kit locally or from Canada. Lesson Learned!!!  :-\
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:19:59 AM by Naipe »

Offline Naipe

• Confirmed
  • Lord Naipe
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:07:33 PM »
Second week of my MP3 motor dieing on me and no reply from golden motor in china. I don't know how many emails I have sent but no response... I looked in my junk box, just in case but no emails from them.

I have resorted to buying  a replacement controller from GM Canada, hope I get a reply from GM china before the replacement part gets here, that way I might not loose my warranty.

Offline Hastings

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 05:37:12 PM »
Whats the use of a warranty when nobody at the company answers ???
When I ordered the wrong size of the wheel I wanted to by a rim and  shorter spokes from GM. (not on the web as spares)The only one interested to help out was Gary  of GM-canada.
One of my chinese friends even tried to call the nr on the website =no answer

I think GM could have many more customers of they were better at cutomer care and took responsibility for the aftermarket

Offline Naipe

• Confirmed
  • Lord Naipe
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 05:41:17 PM »
Whats the use of a warranty when nobody at the company answers ???
When I ordered the wrong size of the wheel I wanted to by a rim and  shorter spokes from GM. (not on the web as spares)The only one interested to help out was Gary  of GM-canada.
One of my chinese friends even tried to call the nr on the website =no answer

I think GM could have many more customers of they were better at customer care and took responsibility for the aftermarket

I'm amazed at how cold they (GM China) are once they have your/my money... I glad I'm not the only one with this problem and I feel your pain.  :-[
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:21:33 PM by Naipe »

Offline Naipe

• Confirmed
  • Lord Naipe
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 05:24:23 PM »
Finally got around to replace the defective internal controller with one that I purchased from Gary at GM Canada (thanks Gary). It seems like one of the resistors just blew up. I would like to get this one fixed/repaired to have as a backup in case my current one suffers a similar fate. Does any one know which resistor should I buy, the lines on the middle are burnt and I cant make what colors they where before.

I hope that by replacing the resistor I can get this controller to connect to the PC.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:49:57 PM by Naipe »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 01:32:44 PM »
I couldn't make out the colours, so I asked my son to check the colours for me and he said they were Orange, Black, Brown and Gold:

It also measures 298 ohms with my meter, so he's evidently not colour blind like me. ;)

Without knowing what actually caused it to blow in the first place, a new resistor will probably blow just like the old one did. :(
I would say there is a problem elsewhere on the controller that is causing excessive current to flow through this resistor.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:27:06 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Naipe

• Confirmed
  • Lord Naipe
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 09:24:27 PM »
Thanks Bikemad. I will have to investigate what else might be blowing the resistor.