Author Topic: Can't get VEC600 with HPM10KV to work with thermal protection enabled  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Desertlei

• Confirmed
I am a new member, please allow me to post on this forum.  I am converting a 250cc motorcycle to electric.

I recently purchased a VEC600 controller and HPM10KV motor.  When testing them the first time, the motor would start turning then stop after just a second or two.  The light on the controller would flash 13 times indicating a problem with the thermal sensor.  When I reprogrammed the controller to disable the thermal protection the motor seems to run correctly.  The HPM10KV has two sets of Hall sensors and thermal sensors, so I tried the other set with the same results.  The goldenmotor.com website has a spec sheet for KTY84 series silicon temperature sensor, which indicates that room temperature it should measure around 600 ohms.  When I measure the the temperature sensor on the motor with an ohmmeter (from the white wire to the black wire) I get an open circuit in one polarity and ~30Mohm in the other.  Both sensors measure the same.

Any idea how I can get the thermal protection working?  I think I could easily overheat my motor, and that could ruin the rare earth magnets inside.  I would really like to have this feature operating.